About This Chapter
Safety & Security in Nursing - Chapter Summary
One of the many responsibilities of nurses when caring for patients is ensuring their safety and security. Learn about the steps nurses can take to ensure their patients are always safe by reviewing this chapter's entertaining lessons. Expert instructors explore potential safety hazards, tips for preventing security issues and ways medical professions should respond to emergencies. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be prepared to:
- Discuss environmental, individual, socioeconomic and cultural influences on a person's safety
- Demonstrate how to identify environmental safety hazards
- Identify and describe devices commonly used in nursing to promote safety
- Explain how improving keyboard and mouse designs can reduce strain on a nurse's body
- Describe how to properly, safely and legally use equipment, materials and chemicals
- Share details about the emergency response plan and security plan used in medical environments
- Showcase your understanding of safety in nursing via a case study
Access video and text lessons in this chapter anytime and watch or read them as frequently as needed to learn about safety and security in nursing at your own pace. Utilize timelines located below videos to revisit key concepts without watching them in full. Take advantage of short self-assessment quizzes that enable you to test your understanding of lesson concepts. A comprehensive chapter exam is also available to reinforce what you've learned.
1. Influences on a Person's Safety: Individual, Environmental, Socioeconomic & Cultural
In this lesson, we discuss some of the various factors that influence a person's safety, including individual, environmental, socioeconomic, and cultural factors.
2. Identifying Environmental Safety Hazards
In this lesson, we'll be learning about safety hazards in the nursing environment. By the end of this article, you'll be able to describe and provide examples of safety hazards in each of the following categories: physical and mechanical, thermal, chemical, radiation, and ecological.
3. Devices Used in Nursing to Promote Safety
Creating a safe environment that limits the risk of patient falls and injuries is a top priority for anyone in the nursing profession. In this lesson, you'll learn about the use of mobility devices, bed rails, and restraints to promote patient safety.
4. Keyboard & Mouse Ergonomics: Definition & Concept
When you work for long periods of time on your computer, this can put a strain on your body. Better designed peripherals can help reduce this strain. The field of ergonomics examines the interaction between humans and computers to improve the design of devices like keyboards and mice.
5. Handling Laboratory Solutions, Chemicals & Biological Materials
Working in a laboratory requires careful attention, both for safety and successful completion of tasks. Learn about the many ways biological and chemical substances need to be properly prepared, identified, stored, dispensed, and disposed of.
6. Emergency Response & Security Plans in Medical Environments
Have you ever wondered how healthcare professionals expertly respond to emergencies? Read further to understand what happens behind the scenes in a medical environment during a crisis situation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NCLEX-RN Study Guide & Practice course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Legal Aspects of Nursing
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Infection Control & Sterilization
- The Aging Process
- Pregnancy & Newborn Care
- Understanding Human Development
- Disease Prevention & Health Screening
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Recognizing Abuse & Neglect
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Substance Dependence Disorders
- Crisis Situations & Intervention
- End of Life Care
- Mental Health Concepts
- Religious & Spiritual Influences on Health
- Sensory & Perceptual Development
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Health Care Support Systems
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Nutrition Essentials for Nursing
- Clinical Test Results - Cells and Blood Proteins: Help and Review
- Diagnostics, Testing & Procedures for Nursing
- Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing
- Illness Management for Nurses
- Medical Emergencies for Nurses
- The Basic Components of Pathophysiology
- NCLEX-RN Flashcards