About This Chapter
SAT: About the Test - Chapter Summary
If the idea of taking a college entrance exam has left you feeling a little anxious, this chapter can help put your mind at ease by providing you with a brief history of the SAT and showing you how it's used by college admission departments. You can also find out about the test's structure, the number of questions per section, the types of questions included and the time allotted to complete the test.
Remaining lessons explain the uses of the exam's experimental section and discuss how each section is scored. You'll also find out when and how these results are reported to colleges. The chapter concludes with instructions for registering and tips to help maximize your performance on test day. In short, this chapter covers everything you'll need to know about:
- Test structure and question formats
- Score ranges and score reporting
- Registration processes and test day tips
Lessons in this chapter include short, entertaining videos you can use to get a clear idea of what you'll be tested on. If you'd rather access lesson content in the form of written transcripts, these resources are available to you as well, as are short self-assessment quizzes you can use to affirm your understanding of topics ranging from the registration process to materials allowed in the testing center.
SAT: About the Test - Chapter Objectives
While this chapter isn't designed to go into detail about any one subject area covered by the SAT, it can be used to give you an idea of what to expect on test day. A familiarity with test content and structure can also help you determine the amount of study time you'll need to prepare and give you a good jumping off point for the math, reading and writing lessons to come.
1. The New SAT vs. the Old SAT
The SAT has changed in March, 2016. Read on to learn about the differences between the previous SAT and the new test, and get some advice on how to prepare for exam day.
2. What is the SAT? - History, Changes & Importance
You know you have to take the SAT. But did you know where it comes from, how it's changed over time or why it looks the way it does? And are you wondering whether you should go for the SAT or the ACT? Find out here!
3. The SAT Test Structure: Sections, Question Types & Timing
Looking for an introduction to what you'll see on the SAT? Watch this lesson for a quick overview of the sections, question types, and timing of the test. Beginners will find this particularly useful, since it can help you avoid confusion later.
4. How Scoring Works on the SAT: Section Scores, Equating & Reporting
Confused by SAT scoring? Not quite sure what all the numbers mean? Watch this lesson to learn exactly how your score is calculated and how to interpret your score report.
5. Registering for the SAT and What to Bring on Test Day
Watch this video lesson to learn how to register for the SAT, when the important deadlines are, tips for acing the registration process, and what to bring on test day.
6. Tips for Maximum Performance on the SAT
You've studied for the SAT, but are you prepared to be at the top of your game on test day? This video explains what to do on Friday night and Saturday morning to keep your nerves under control and your energy up.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- SAT Writing: About the Writing Section
- SAT Writing: Text & Argument Analysis
- SAT Writing: Word Choice & Expression
- SAT Writing: Standard English Grammar
- SAT Writing: Writing & Language Test Practice
- SAT Writing: The Essay Portion
- SAT Writing: Planning and Writing Your Essay
- SAT Writing: Parts of an Essay
- SAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- SAT Writing: Essay Writing Skills
- SAT Writing: How to Write An Argument
- SAT Writing: Supporting Your Writing
- SAT Writing: Revising Your Writing
- SAT Reading: About the Reading Section
- SAT Reading: Reading Passages
- SAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- SAT Reading: Interpreting & Analyzing Text
- SAT Reading: Literary Terms
- SAT Reading: US Documents & Speeches
- SAT Vocabulary Practice
- SAT Math: About the Math Section
- SAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- SAT Math: Exponents
- SAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Inequalities
- SAT Math: Functions
- SAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- SAT Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- SAT Math: Unit Rate & Measurement Conversions
- SAT Math: Geometry and Measurement
- SAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- SAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability
- SAT Flashcards