About This Chapter
SAT Math: About the Math Section - Chapter Summary
If you've started preparing for the math portion of the SAT, use the lessons in this chapter to learn about calculator use, test structure and the amount of time you'll be given to complete this part of the exam. You can also get tips for using the formulas and diagrams included in the test's reference area as well as some insight into how multiple-choice questions are structured. Instructors even show you how to go about answering the exam's student-produced response questions, which require you to grid-in your answer. Additional topics of discussion cover the difficulty pattern for test questions and the scores assigned to correct and incorrect answers for both multiple-choice and grid-in question formats. This chapter can show you:
- Math section structure and scoring
- Question formatting
- Test-taking strategies
Our chapter on the SAT math section includes short video lessons taught by experienced instructors who use a teaching style that's both entertaining and informative. You can view these lessons and their matching transcripts. There are even self-assessment quizzes designed to acquaint you with multiple-choice question formatting and help improve your recall of important test-taking strategies.
SAT Math: About the Math Section - Chapter Objectives
Lessons included here show you what to expect when you take the SAT's 80-minute math section, which consists of 58 questions and covering number properties and arithmetic operations, algebra, geometry, data analysis and statistics. Knowing what's covered on the test could even help give you peace of mind as you work your way through the chapters to come.
1. Structure of the SAT Math Section: Structure, Patterns & Scoring
In this lesson, you'll take a look at what you're up against on the SAT math section. We'll cover what kind of questions you'll see, how they're scored, and how you can use this information to boost your score.
2. SAT Math: Strategy for Approaching the Math Section
How should you approach the SAT math section? To help prepare you for exam day, this lesson examines test-taking strategies for the two most common types of questions and the tools available to students on the day of the test.
3. SAT Math: Multiple Choice Questions
In this lesson, we'll look at multiple choice questions on the SAT math section. We'll practice with some example questions, and cover tips and tricks for how to do well on this type of question.
4. SAT Math: Grid-In and Extended Thinking Questions
There are several different types of questions on the SAT math section. In this lesson, we'll look at two of them: grid-in and extended-thinking questions. We'll look at examples of them and talk about strategies to succeed.
5. Solving Word Problems on the SAT
In this lesson, you'll learn the 2-step process for tackling word problems on the SAT and get some hints for how to avoid common word problem pitfalls, like tricky language and mismatched units.
6. Solving Math Problems with Number Lines on the SAT
In this lesson, you'll get an overview of what number lines are, some tips for tackling them on the SAT and a preview of the kinds of number line problems on the test.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- SAT: About the Test
- SAT Writing: About the Writing Section
- SAT Writing: Text & Argument Analysis
- SAT Writing: Word Choice & Expression
- SAT Writing: Standard English Grammar
- SAT Writing: Writing & Language Test Practice
- SAT Writing: The Essay Portion
- SAT Writing: Planning and Writing Your Essay
- SAT Writing: Parts of an Essay
- SAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- SAT Writing: Essay Writing Skills
- SAT Writing: How to Write An Argument
- SAT Writing: Supporting Your Writing
- SAT Writing: Revising Your Writing
- SAT Reading: About the Reading Section
- SAT Reading: Reading Passages
- SAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- SAT Reading: Interpreting & Analyzing Text
- SAT Reading: Literary Terms
- SAT Reading: US Documents & Speeches
- SAT Vocabulary Practice
- SAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- SAT Math: Exponents
- SAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Inequalities
- SAT Math: Functions
- SAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- SAT Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- SAT Math: Unit Rate & Measurement Conversions
- SAT Math: Geometry and Measurement
- SAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- SAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability
- SAT Prep Flashcards
- SAT Flashcards