About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your review or other SAT preparation work.
- Identify the equations and expressions concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our SAT prep tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to review equations and expressions and earn acceptable scores. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding linear equations, absolute value, systems of equations, binomials, polynomials, or any other equations and expressions topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their preparation for the math section of the SAT
- Prefer learning SAT math topics visually
- Find themselves needing help with the equations and expressions portion of their review
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in their SAT preparation
- Don't have access to an SAT math prep instructor
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make reviewing equations and expressions simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live SAT prep tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn equations and expressions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn about intercepts, standard form and graphing of linear equations.
- Find out how to solve absolute value equations.
- Learn to use a system of equations.
- Determine how to handle direct and inverse variation problems.
- Study methods for solving quadratics that aren't in standard form.
- Learn to solve quadratic equations by factoring and with the quadratic formula.
- Start using FOIL and the area method to multiply binomials.
- Review FOIL in reverse.
- Practice completing the square.
1. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
2. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
3. Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing
Do you know what to do if an equation doesn't look like y=mx+b?! If not, then this video is for you. Chances are the equation is in standard form, so we'll learn how to use standard form equations, how to graph them and why they can be helpful.
4. What is a System of Equations?
So what happens if we want to compare more than one equation? Welcome to a 'system' of equations! Learn what one is, how to solve them and when they come up in real life.
5. How Do I Use a System of Equations?
There are a few classic algebra word problems, such as the one about two trains traveling at different speeds. In this lesson, you'll learn how to take a word problem and convert it into the system of equations that will allow you to find the answer using either substitution or elimination.
6. Direct and Inverse Variation Problems: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn how to approach questions about direct and inverse variation with a simple explanation of what the terms mean and how to apply them to problems.
7. How to Solve Exponential Equations
Read this lesson to learn the steps you need to take to solve exponential equations. You'll see that it's not too difficult; you just need to make use of one other mathematical operation in order to solve your problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- SAT - About the Test: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - About the Writing Section: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Word Choice & Expression: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Standard English Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Writing & Language Test Practice: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - The Essay Portion: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Planning and Writing Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Parts of an Essay: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Sentence Clarity and Structure: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Essay Writing Skills: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Supporting Your Writing: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Revising Your Writing: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - About the Reading Section: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Sentence Completions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Understanding Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Interpreting & Analyzing Text: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - US Documents & Speeches: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Vocabulary Practice
- SAT Math - About the Math Section: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Numbers and Operations: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Rational Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Quadratic Equations: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Unit Rate & Measurement Conversions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Geometry and Measurement: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Triangles & Trigonometric Rates: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability: Tutoring Solution