About This Chapter
SAT Math: Exponents - Chapter Summary
Get ready to demonstrate the necessary college-entry skills for working with exponents by reviewing these related topics:
- Properties of exponents
- Defining negative and zero exponents
- Simplifying expressions with exponents
- Rational exponents
- Simplifying expressions containing rational exponents
Complete each short video lesson and follow up with the quick quiz to see if you're on the right track. A solid understanding of exponents is crucial for excelling in the algebra portion of your test.
SAT Math Objectives
The algebra and functions portion of the SAT contains 35%-40% of the math problems. You'll demonstrate your understanding of the concepts listed below:
- Properties of exponents
- Simplifying algebraic expressions
- Substitution in algebraic expressions
- Algebraic word problems
- Systems of inequalities and equations
- Solutions of inequalities and linear equations
- Quadratics equations
- Radical and rational equations
- Absolute value
- Equations of lines
- Concepts of algebraic functions
- Inverse and direct variation
- Newly-defined symbols connected to commonly used operations
You won't need to memorize formulas, since the ones most commonly used are in your test book. These lessons will help you practice choosing the appropriate formulas for given questions and give you immediate feedback on your answers. On test day, you'll be able to use an approved model of calculator when needed. Check the SAT student site for details.
The math section of your test will include 58 questions to be completed in 80 minutes or less. You don't lose any points for questions not answered, or for incorrect responses.
1. What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
We'll look at the five important exponent properties and an example of each. You can think of them as the order of operations for exponents. Learn how to handle math problems with exponents here!
2. How to Define a Zero and Negative Exponent
The zero and negative exponent properties are two you will use quite a lot in mathematics. The negative exponent property can be confusing, but when you remember a couple fun ideas, you will get it right every time!
3. How to Simplify Expressions with Exponents
In this video, we will put all of the exponent properties we have learned together. Don't let lots of numbers and letters confuse you! Simplifying exponents can be easy and fun!
4. Rational Exponents
In this video, learn how to go from a rational exponent to a radical expression and back. No tricks or magic, just good math! We'll review the basics and look at a few examples.
5. Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
Simplifying expressions with rational exponents is so easy. In fact, you already know how to do it! We simply use the exponent properties but with fractions as the exponent!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- SAT: About the Test
- SAT Writing: About the Writing Section
- SAT Writing: Text & Argument Analysis
- SAT Writing: Word Choice & Expression
- SAT Writing: Standard English Grammar
- SAT Writing: Writing & Language Test Practice
- SAT Writing: The Essay Portion
- SAT Writing: Planning and Writing Your Essay
- SAT Writing: Parts of an Essay
- SAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- SAT Writing: Essay Writing Skills
- SAT Writing: How to Write An Argument
- SAT Writing: Supporting Your Writing
- SAT Writing: Revising Your Writing
- SAT Reading: About the Reading Section
- SAT Reading: Reading Passages
- SAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- SAT Reading: Interpreting & Analyzing Text
- SAT Reading: Literary Terms
- SAT Reading: US Documents & Speeches
- SAT Vocabulary Practice
- SAT Math: About the Math Section
- SAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- SAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Inequalities
- SAT Math: Functions
- SAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- SAT Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- SAT Math: Unit Rate & Measurement Conversions
- SAT Math: Geometry and Measurement
- SAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- SAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability
- SAT Prep Flashcards
- SAT Flashcards