About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your review or other SAT preparation work.
- Identify the geometry and measurement concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our SAT prep tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to review geometry and measurement and earn acceptable scores on the SAT. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding properties of shapes, special right triangles, the Pythagorean theorem, transformations, or any other geometry and measurement topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their SAT math preparation
- Prefer learning SAT math topics visually
- Find themselves needing help with the geometry and measurement portion of their review
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in their SAT preparation
- Don't have access to an SAT math instructor
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make reviewing geometry and measurement for the SAT simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live SAT prep tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn geometry and measurement on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Study the different types of angles, including vertical and corresponding.
- Review area and perimeter of triangles and rectangles.
- Study the properties of triangles, circles, rectangles, and squares.
- Find out how to solve visualizing geometry problems.
- Study methods for identifying similar triangles and learn the properties of special right triangles.
- Learn to calculate the volume of basic shapes.
- Understand how to find the properties of 3-dimensional objects.
- Describe the different parts of a graph.
- Use point-slope formula to determine the equation of a line.
- Learn to use the distance and midpoint formula.
- Determine how to shift graphs on a plane.
- Learn to graph an absolute value and do transformations.
1. Parallel, Perpendicular and Transverse Lines
What are the different types of lines? Where are they visible in the real world and how can you recognize them? Find out here and test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. Properties of Shapes: Rectangles, Squares and Rhombuses
What's the difference between a square and a rectangle? What about a rhombus and a square? In this lesson, we'll look at the properties of these shapes.
3. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
4. Finding the Properties of Three-Dimensional Objects on the SAT
Struggling with 3-D geometry problems on the SAT, like the problems about cubes and spheres? In this lesson, you'll learn how to crack them by breaking them down into more familiar 2-D shapes and solving from there.
5. How to Calculate the Volumes of Basic Shapes
Squares pegs = square holes. Triangular pegs = triangular holes. But where does a sphere go? In this lesson, review volumes of common shapes while contrasting a sphere and a cylinder - after all, they both go into the circular hole... right?
6. Properties of Shapes: Circles
Circles are fundamental to everything we do. But, did you know they're much more than just round shapes? In this lesson, we'll look at the various parts of circles and how they all relate.
7. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
8. Graphing Circles: Identifying the Formula, Center and Radius
Discover how to graph circles by finding key information like the center and radius. Identify circles by simply looking at the formula, and vice versa.
9. Converting Between Radians and Degrees
Angles can be measured in degrees or radians. This lesson will explore the difference and provide you with a simple calculation that can be used to convert degrees into radians and radians into degrees.
10. How to Find the Arc Length of a Function
You don't always walk in a straight line. Sometimes, you want to know the distance between two points when the path is curved. In this lesson, you'll learn about finding the length of a curve.
11. Measurements of Lengths Involving Tangents, Chords and Secants
The lengths of chords, tangents and secants take on unique relationships when they're drawn on circles. In this lesson, we'll define those relationships and see them in action.
12. Finding the Area of a Sector: Formula & Practice Problems
In this lesson, you'll review your knowledge of circle vocabulary and then discover how to calculate the area of a sector of a circle. The lesson covers finding the area of the sector using degrees and radians.
13. How to Find the Measure of an Inscribed Angle
Finding the measure of an inscribed angle requires knowing a little information. In this lesson, we'll find the measure of an inscribed angle when we know the measure of the central angle or one or more of the arcs formed by the angle.
14. Angles and Triangles: Practice Problems
Want more practice solving with angle pairs? How about more review for solving angles in triangles? Look no further. Get more practice here, and test your ability with a quiz.
15. Congruency of Right Triangles: Definition of LA and LL Theorems
In this lesson, we'll learn two theorems that help us prove when two right triangles are congruent to one another. The LA theorem, or leg-acute, and LL theorem, or leg-leg, are useful shortcuts for proving congruence.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- SAT - About the Test: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - About the Writing Section: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Word Choice & Expression: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Standard English Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Writing & Language Test Practice: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - The Essay Portion: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Planning and Writing Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Parts of an Essay: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Sentence Clarity and Structure: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Essay Writing Skills: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Supporting Your Writing: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Revising Your Writing: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - About the Reading Section: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Sentence Completions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Understanding Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Interpreting & Analyzing Text: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - US Documents & Speeches: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Vocabulary Practice
- SAT Math - About the Math Section: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Numbers and Operations: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Rational Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Quadratic Equations: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Unit Rate & Measurement Conversions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Triangles & Trigonometric Rates: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability: Tutoring Solution