About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your review or other SAT preparation work.
- Identify the numbers and operations concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our SAT prep tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to review numbers and operations and earn acceptable scores on the SAT. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding word problems, operations with fractions, calculations with ratios and proportions, decimals, scientific notation, percents, or any other numbers and operations topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning for the SAT
- Prefer learning SAT math topics visually
- Find themselves needing help with the numbers and operations portion of their review
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in their SAT preparation
- Don't have access to an SAT math instructor
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make reviewing numbers and operations simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live SAT prep tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn numbers and operations on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn to add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions and mixed numbers.
- Study how to do calculations with ratios and proportions.
- Review radicands, radical expressions and roots of algebraic expressions.
- Understand how to simplify square roots of powers and quotients.
- Determine how to find the greatest common factor.
- Get info on finding the prime factorization of a number and the least common multiple.
- See applications for percents and learn to solve problems that use them.
- Define math sequences and classify arithmetic sequences.
- Study elements, intersections and unions.
- Apply critical thinking to math problems.
1. Radicands and Radical Expressions
It's easy to see that funky radical symbol and panic just a little bit. There are so many rules that go along with it, it's hard to keep up with them all. This lesson will help by describing what you should do when you are faced with a square root.
2. Roots and Powers of Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, you'll learn about some common mistakes that students make when working with roots and powers of algebraic expressions on the SAT and how to make sure you don't fall into the same trap.
3. Simplifying Square Roots of Powers in Radical Expressions
Simplifying radical expressions that contain powers can be tricky. There are a few simple rules that will help you perform these simplifications with ease. This lesson will teach you how.
4. Simplify Square Roots of Quotients
The quotient rule can be used to simplify square roots of quotients. This lesson will define the quotient rule and show you how it is used to simplify square roots.
5. Solving Radical Equations: Steps and Examples
Solving radical equations is not any more difficult than solving other algebraic equations. This lesson will show you how to solve equations containing a square root and give some real-world examples.
6. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
7. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
8. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
9. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
10. Percents: Definition, Application & Examples
Maybe you know that 95% is an A and 75% is a C. But what do those percents really mean? In this lesson, we'll learn about percents, including how to convert them to fractions and decimals.
11. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
12. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Complex Numbers
Knowing that complex numbers exist is the first step. But that knowledge alone won't help you do much with them. Learn the basics of complex number addition, subtraction and multiplication here!
13. How to Divide Complex Numbers
While adding, subtracting and multiplying complex numbers is pretty straightforward, dividing them can be pretty tricky. It comes down to the process of multiplying by the complex conjugate. Learn about what that is, and how to do it, here.
14. Greater Than Symbol in Math: Examples & Problems
This lesson explains what the 'greater than' symbol is and how to use it to compare numbers in mathematics. You'll learn when to use the 'greater than' symbol how to tell the difference between the 'greater than' and 'less than' symbols, then you'll be quizzed about what you've learned.
15. Grouping Symbols in Math: Definition & Equations
This lesson will investigate grouping symbols in math, which allow steps in a math problem to receive priority attention. Incorrect use of grouping symbols can make the difference between obtaining the right or wrong answer.
16. Signed Number in Math: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will find out about signed numbers. The use of signed numbers could be thought of as where arithmetic ends and algebra begins. We will also discuss situations encountered every day that can be described by using signed numbers.
17. Special Product: Definition & Formula
In this lesson, we will review what a binomial is and how to multiply two binomials together. We will then discuss special cases called special products.
18. Subtracting Integers: Rules & Examples
In this lesson, we will cover definitions, rules, and examples for subtracting integers. We'll also provide some helpful tips for dealing with tricky math problems.
19. What are Rational Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about rational numbers and their characteristics. We'll discover what they are, what they aren't and how to distinguish them from other types of numbers.
20. What Are Significant Digits? - Definition, Rules & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about significant digits and the rules used to identify the number of digits that are significant in a figure. We will also discuss the relevance of significant figures in our experiences.
21. Subtraction Property and Limits: Definition & Examples
What are limits of functions? What happens to limits if we subtract two functions that have limits at the same value? In this lesson, we will look at the subtraction property for limits.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- SAT - About the Test: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - About the Writing Section: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Word Choice & Expression: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Standard English Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Writing & Language Test Practice: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - The Essay Portion: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Planning and Writing Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Parts of an Essay: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Sentence Clarity and Structure: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Essay Writing Skills: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Supporting Your Writing: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Revising Your Writing: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - About the Reading Section: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Sentence Completions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Understanding Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Interpreting & Analyzing Text: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - US Documents & Speeches: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Vocabulary Practice
- SAT Math - About the Math Section: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Rational Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Quadratic Equations: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Unit Rate & Measurement Conversions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Geometry and Measurement: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Triangles & Trigonometric Rates: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability: Tutoring Solution