About This Chapter
SAT Math: Ratios, Rates and Proportional Relationships - Chapter Summary
This chapter aims to supplement what you've covered in class about ratios, rates and proportional relationships. As you watch the entertaining online video lessons, you could be reminded of their applications. Examples are provided to help you become proficient at solving problems with ratios, rates and proportions for the mathematics section of the SAT examination. Lessons on rate formulas and scale drawings are included. Watch and study these lessons so you can:
- Define and use ratios and proportions
- Practice performing calculations with proportions and ratios
- Write the rate formula and complete the problem-solving process
- Explore the use of scale drawings and their relationship to mathematics
View these brief online lessons and take the self-assessment quizzes when you have spare time. They can be watched via your mobile device, or you can print out your quiz results for offline review. Experienced teachers explain the above concepts so that you can be ready when you answer math questions on the SAT examination. You can submit questions about ratios, rates and proportional relationships on the dashboard area; just click the icon on the upper right side of the screen to access the ask-an-expert feature. The animated video lessons include written transcripts and navigational video tags.
SAT Math: Ratios, Rates and Proportional Relationships Chapter Objectives
Problem Solving and Data Analysis is one of four content categories on the mathematics section of the paper-delivered SAT examination. When you're answering questions in this section, you can recall what you studied about ratios and proportions throughout this chapter and in the classroom in order to provide accurate answers. There's a time limit of 80 minutes for completing the 58 questions on the math exam.
1. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
2. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
3. Practice Problems for Calculating Ratios and Proportions
In this lesson, you'll get a quick review of a type of math problem that shows up on the SAT: ratios and proportions. We'll walk through some problems in the video, and you can test your skills in the quiz questions.
4. Solving Problems Using Rates
In this video lesson, learn how to set up rate problems so you can easily solve them. You will become familiar with the rate formula and you will see how easy it is to use.
5. How to Read and Interpret Scale Drawings
Watch this video lesson to learn how scale drawings and legends are used on maps and blueprints. Learn skills that will serve you well when traveling and when looking at the blueprints of a car.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- SAT: About the Test
- SAT Writing: About the Writing Section
- SAT Writing: Text & Argument Analysis
- SAT Writing: Word Choice & Expression
- SAT Writing: Standard English Grammar
- SAT Writing: Writing & Language Test Practice
- SAT Writing: The Essay Portion
- SAT Writing: Planning and Writing Your Essay
- SAT Writing: Parts of an Essay
- SAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- SAT Writing: Essay Writing Skills
- SAT Writing: How to Write An Argument
- SAT Writing: Supporting Your Writing
- SAT Writing: Revising Your Writing
- SAT Reading: About the Reading Section
- SAT Reading: Reading Passages
- SAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- SAT Reading: Interpreting & Analyzing Text
- SAT Reading: Literary Terms
- SAT Reading: US Documents & Speeches
- SAT Vocabulary Practice
- SAT Math: About the Math Section
- SAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- SAT Math: Exponents
- SAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Inequalities
- SAT Math: Functions
- SAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- SAT Math: Unit Rate & Measurement Conversions
- SAT Math: Geometry and Measurement
- SAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- SAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability
- SAT Prep Flashcards
- SAT Flashcards