About This Chapter
SAT Reading: Reading Passages
Prepare for the passage-based reading portion of your SAT by reviewing the following fundamental topics through these learning materials:
- Reading passage question types
- Long and double reading passages
- Responding to literature-based multiple-choice questions
Get ready to demonstrate college-level reading comprehension skills on your SAT, with the help of these user-friendly video lessons. Follow up with the quick quizzes for immediate feedback.
SAT Reading Objectives
You'll answer 52 passage-based reading questions in the critical reading section of your SAT. Unlike the sentence completions section, the questions don't increase in difficulty in the passage-based reading portion, but follow the reasoning of the selections. The test assesses your comprehension of passages 100-850 words in length. They vary in style and subject matter, and some sets of passages are related. The selections include both fiction and non-fiction. You'll have a chance to demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Determine meanings of words through context
- Understand literal meanings directly stated
- Use extended reasoning: synthesize, analyze and evaluate
You'll find that the largest part of the reading questions requires you to use extended reasoning comprehension strategies. These lessons give you ample practice in long and double reading passages, in addition to experience in answering multiple-choice questions about literature. Your score isn't affected by questions left unanswered, and incorrect answers are not penalized.
1. What to Expect from SAT Reading Passages: Types of Passages & Content
Big changes have come to the SAT Reading section. This lesson will help make sure that you're ready for the new passage types and what you're likely to find in each section.
2. Types of SAT Reading Passage Questions
The changes to the SAT Reading Test mean big things for the types of passages you'll be reading. However, you'll also find that many of the skills you have already learned will help you out here.
3. Practice with Long Reading Passages in the SAT
In this lesson, you'll get some practice working through one of the long reading passages on the SAT. You'll work through several questions and get some strategy and test-taking tips for the day of the test.
4. Practice with Double Reading Passages in the SAT
In this lesson, you'll get tips to help hone your skills on the double reading passages on the SAT Reading Test. You'll also walk through reading a pair of passages and work through some sample questions.
5. How to Answer Multiple Choice Questions About Literature: Test-Taking Strategies
In this lesson, we will examine test taking strategies involved in answering multiple-choice questions about literature. Breaking the process down into manageable parts, we will take a look at the literary text, the question itself, and then the given choices.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- SAT: About the Test
- SAT Writing: About the Writing Section
- SAT Writing: Text & Argument Analysis
- SAT Writing: Word Choice & Expression
- SAT Writing: Standard English Grammar
- SAT Writing: Writing & Language Test Practice
- SAT Writing: The Essay Portion
- SAT Writing: Planning and Writing Your Essay
- SAT Writing: Parts of an Essay
- SAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- SAT Writing: Essay Writing Skills
- SAT Writing: How to Write An Argument
- SAT Writing: Supporting Your Writing
- SAT Writing: Revising Your Writing
- SAT Reading: About the Reading Section
- SAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- SAT Reading: Interpreting & Analyzing Text
- SAT Reading: Literary Terms
- SAT Reading: US Documents & Speeches
- SAT Vocabulary Practice
- SAT Math: About the Math Section
- SAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- SAT Math: Exponents
- SAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Inequalities
- SAT Math: Functions
- SAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- SAT Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- SAT Math: Unit Rate & Measurement Conversions
- SAT Math: Geometry and Measurement
- SAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- SAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability
- SAT Flashcards