About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your review or other SAT preparation work.
- Identify the reading comprehension concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our SAT prep tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to improve their reading comprehension to prepare for the SAT and earn acceptable scores. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding literary analysis, inference, reading strategies, or any other reading comprehension topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their SAT preparation
- Prefer learning SAT topics visually
- Find themselves needing help with the reading comprehension portion of their review
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in their SAT preparation
- Don't have access to an SAT prep instructor
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning reading comprehension skills simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live SAT prep tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn reading comprehension skills on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn the steps needed to analyze literary passages.
- Study methods for inferring intended meaning.
- Get help improving reading comprehension and getting the gist of an essay.
- Learn to employ visualization as a reading strategy.
- Understand connotation and denotation.
- Identify tone and mood in reading passages.
- Learn how structure in writing affects meaning.
- Study close reading and big picture reading methods
- Learn to interpret literary meaning using text.
1. How to Analyze a Literary Passage: A Step-by-Step Guide
In this lesson, we will examine the steps involved in the basic analysis of literature. Then, using a well-known fable, we will go through each step of analysis: comprehension, interpreting and drawing conclusions.
2. Interpreting Literary Meaning: How to Use Text to Guide Your Interpretation
In this lesson, we will discuss how to find and interpret literary meaning in writings. The lesson will focus on using the text to find key elements to guide your interpretation.
3. Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension
In this lesson, we learn quick rules of getting the 'gist' or point of a sentence, paragraph and essay. This skill will improve your reading speed and help you become a more effective and efficient reader and writer.
4. Close Reading vs. Big Picture Reading Strategies
In this lesson, learn about two different approaches to reading a work of literature: big picture strategies and close reading strategies. Discover how these two perspectives can be put into practice through examples from the play 'Romeo and Juliet.'
5. Reading Strategies Using Visualization
In this lesson, we will define visualization. We will then discuss why this step is important, how we can visualize, and when you should visualize. Finally, we will look at a sample from a poem and practice visualizing.
6. What is Structure in Writing and How Does it Affect Meaning?
In this lesson, we will define the role of structure in literature. From there, we will look at the different ways to structure fiction and how it affects the meaning.
7. Evaluating Reasoning in an Essay or Article
Being able to effectively evaluate reasoning can be helpful to you as you develop your own deductive and inductive reasoning skills and put those skills to work in persuasive essays. This lesson sheds some light on how to evaluate reasoning.
8. What Are Connotation and Denotation? - Definitions & Examples
Discover the difference between a word's denotation and its connotation in this lesson. Explore how authors use both denotation and connotation to add layers of meaning to their work with some literary examples.
9. Understanding Tone and Mood in a Reading Passage
In this lesson, we will define the literary terms tone and mood. We will then discuss how to identify each of them, as well as how to identify them in small reading passages.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- SAT - About the Test: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - About the Writing Section: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Word Choice & Expression: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Standard English Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Writing & Language Test Practice: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - The Essay Portion: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Planning and Writing Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Parts of an Essay: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Sentence Clarity and Structure: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Essay Writing Skills: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Supporting Your Writing: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Revising Your Writing: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - About the Reading Section: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Sentence Completions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Interpreting & Analyzing Text: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - US Documents & Speeches: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Vocabulary Practice
- SAT Math - About the Math Section: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Numbers and Operations: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Rational Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Quadratic Equations: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Unit Rate & Measurement Conversions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Geometry and Measurement: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Triangles & Trigonometric Rates: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability: Tutoring Solution