About This Chapter
SAT Writing: About the Writing Section - Chapter Summary
Analyze the vital fundamentals for writing strong essays with our SAT review. These lessons address writing basics you need to know for success on the SAT writing section. Lessons in this chapter cover:
- Enhancing sentences
- Finding errors within sentences
- Perfecting paragraphs
- Organization of the SAT essay
The lessons in this chapter are composed of an overview of the writing section, question samples and basic strategies. You can also find out what to expect from the writing prompts and timing of the test. Video lessons with quizzes present each topic in an easily understandable format to make sure you grasp these writing essentials for test day.
SAT Writing Objectives
The SAT is a college-entry assessment in which you can demonstrate your readiness for upper-level courses. The writing section's multiple-choice questions assess your knowledge of improving sentences, identifying sentence errors and improving paragraphs. The final portion of the writing section contains the writing prompt and your written essay. Some of the writing objectives of these lessons include:
- Developing point of view based on a writing prompt
- Supporting point of view
- Using rules for standard, written English
The SAT writing section includes multiple-choice questions about finding sentence errors, improving grammar, and making better choices in word usage, in addition to a short, written essay. By watching this chapter's video lessons and taking the brief quizzes, you can review the basics and judge your own readiness for this part of the SAT test.
1. About the SAT Writing Section: Structure, Patterns & Scoring
Learn about the writing portion on the new SAT and what kinds of questions you can expect. This lesson covers passage types, question types, and the overall structure of the test. Then try some practice questions on the quiz.
2. SAT Writing & Language Test: Command of Evidence
This lesson will explain what Command of Evidence Questions are on the SAT Writing and Language test and how to respond to them. It will also provide examples of these questions.
3. SAT Writing & Language Test: Analysis Questions - History & Science
In this lesson we will practice strategies for tackling the Writing and Language section of the SAT exam. We will learn about the section requirements and work through several examples.
4. SAT Writing & Language Test: Expression of Ideas
The Expression of Ideas section of the SAT Writing and Language test doesn't have to be hard. In this lesson, we will take a look at the Expressions of Ideas portion of the SAT's Writing and Language test entails so you can be ready for the exam.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- SAT: About the Test
- SAT Writing: Text & Argument Analysis
- SAT Writing: Word Choice & Expression
- SAT Writing: Standard English Grammar
- SAT Writing: Writing & Language Test Practice
- SAT Writing: The Essay Portion
- SAT Writing: Planning and Writing Your Essay
- SAT Writing: Parts of an Essay
- SAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- SAT Writing: Essay Writing Skills
- SAT Writing: How to Write An Argument
- SAT Writing: Supporting Your Writing
- SAT Writing: Revising Your Writing
- SAT Reading: About the Reading Section
- SAT Reading: Reading Passages
- SAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- SAT Reading: Interpreting & Analyzing Text
- SAT Reading: Literary Terms
- SAT Reading: US Documents & Speeches
- SAT Vocabulary Practice
- SAT Math: About the Math Section
- SAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- SAT Math: Exponents
- SAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Inequalities
- SAT Math: Functions
- SAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- SAT Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- SAT Math: Unit Rate & Measurement Conversions
- SAT Math: Geometry and Measurement
- SAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- SAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability
- SAT Prep Flashcards
- SAT Flashcards