About This Chapter
SAT Writing: Planning and Writing Your Essay - Chapter Summary
Prepare for the SAT Writing test with tips for quickly writing an effective essay. These videos walk you through the process of deciding what to write, presenting your ideas logically, and editing your essay to improve it. You'll get our suggestions about:
- Brainstorming essay ideas
- Staying focused on the essay prompt
- Outlining an essay
- Working under a timed deadline
- Revising to clarify main points
- Proofreading your essay
- Practicing essay writing independently
The included quizzes help you test your memory of our strategy concepts. To maximize your skills, practice writing essays on your own. If part of the writing process was difficult for you, re-watch the corresponding video and try again with a new prompt.
SAT Writing: Essay Objectives
The optional essay portion of the SAT is 50 minutes long. During this time, you should produce an essay that:
- Considers an issue provided in a written passage
- Explains your own opinion about that issue, whether you agree or disagree with the passage
- Supports your opinion with one or more examples
- Develops your example(s) thoroughly
- Uses logical and clear arguments
- Demonstrates strong command of writing conventions
1. What Is Brainstorming?
You may have been told that it's important to brainstorm before writing an essay. This video explains why it's well worth your time to make brainstorming part of your writing routine.
2. Techniques for Brainstorming Great Ideas
Great essays are made up of great ideas. Finding those great ideas is the first critical step on the road to writing a terrific essay. Learn some popular and effective brainstorming techniques that will work whether you have an hour or two weeks to write your paper.
3. How to Write an Outline
Whether it's a doctoral thesis or high school essay, outlining is crucial to writing success. This lesson emphasizes the importance of outlines and specifically addresses the three most common outlines for writers to utilize.
4. How to Write a Great Essay Quickly
Many tests will require you to write a timed essay. You may feel panicked at the idea of having to produce a high-quality essay under a tight time constraint. But you can relax: this video shows you four basic steps to follow so that you can write a great essay quickly.
5. How to Focus Your Essay and Respond to the Essay Prompt
In this video, learn how to ensure that your writing responds directly to your assignment. Then find out how to spot where you may have strayed from the paper's point and how to get back on track.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- SAT: About the Test
- SAT Writing: About the Writing Section
- SAT Writing: Text & Argument Analysis
- SAT Writing: Word Choice & Expression
- SAT Writing: Standard English Grammar
- SAT Writing: Writing & Language Test Practice
- SAT Writing: The Essay Portion
- SAT Writing: Parts of an Essay
- SAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- SAT Writing: Essay Writing Skills
- SAT Writing: How to Write An Argument
- SAT Writing: Supporting Your Writing
- SAT Writing: Revising Your Writing
- SAT Reading: About the Reading Section
- SAT Reading: Reading Passages
- SAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- SAT Reading: Interpreting & Analyzing Text
- SAT Reading: Literary Terms
- SAT Reading: US Documents & Speeches
- SAT Vocabulary Practice
- SAT Math: About the Math Section
- SAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- SAT Math: Exponents
- SAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- SAT Math: Inequalities
- SAT Math: Functions
- SAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- SAT Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- SAT Math: Unit Rate & Measurement Conversions
- SAT Math: Geometry and Measurement
- SAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- SAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability
- SAT Prep Flashcards
- SAT Flashcards