About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other SAT writing work.
- Identify the standard English grammar concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our SAT Prep Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn standard English grammar and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding commas, sentence fragments, periods, sentence agreement, verb tense, clause errors or any other standard English grammar topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their SAT learning
- Prefer learning SAT topics visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their standard English grammar unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in SAT prep
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning standard English grammar simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live SAT writing tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn English grammar on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn about basic comma rules.
- Understand punctuation use for colons, semicolons and periods.
- Comprehend the difference between fragments, comma splices and run-ons.
- Review errors in sentence structure, subject-verb agreement and nouns and pronouns.
- Recall errors in comparison, correlation and parallelism.
- Study information about errors of verb tense.
- Learn about adjectives and adverbs.
- Identify misplaced modifiers and dangling modifiers.
1. Identifying Errors in Sentence Structure
There are many rules detailing how to build sentences. One mistake can change how a sentence is understood. This lesson discusses how to avoid some common errors in sentence structure.
2. Identifying Subject-Verb Agreement Errors
It's important that the subject and verb in every sentence agree in number. While it's often easy to make this happen, there are a few situations in which it can be tricky to achieve subject-verb agreement. This lesson explains how you can be sure to pair the right verb with a subject.
3. Identifying Errors in Agreement for Nouns & Pronouns
Agreement does not just mean sharing the same opinion. In grammar, agreement means so much more. Watch this video lesson to learn how agreement works in our sentences.
4. How to Identify Errors in Adjectives, Adverbs, Nouns & Agreement
All sentences must have agreement. But what does that mean? How do you make words agree? Watch this video lesson to learn the answers to all your questions on agreement.
5. Sentence Agreement: Avoiding Faulty Collective Ownership
A common error occurs whenever a writer uses wording that suggests that a lot of people own or use just one thing, when really they all own or use their own separate things. This video will explain how to identify and fix this type of error.
6. How to Identify Errors in Comparison, Correlation & Parallelism
Ever write something that sounded just a bit off? You might be making simple errors with comparison, correlation and parallelism. Watch this video lesson to learn about these concepts and how to avoid misusing them.
7. Identifying Errors of Verb Tense
In order to identify verb tense errors, you'll need to learn about the six verb tenses and how they differ. Once you know how to look for them, problematic shifts in verb tenses can be spotted and avoided easily.
8. Comparison of Adjectives & Adverbs: Examples, Sentences & Exercises
Adjectives and adverbs are descriptive words that allow our sentences to be much more specific and interesting than they would be without them. This lesson covers the rules for using adjectives and adverbs correctly, including those used in comparisons.
9. What Are Misplaced Modifiers and Dangling Modifiers?
I have this recurring nightmare where all my modifiers are misplaced or dangling and everybody's laughing at me. Don't let this happen to you! Learn why modifiers are important and why putting them in the right place is even more so.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- SAT - About the Test: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - About the Writing Section: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Word Choice & Expression: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Writing & Language Test Practice: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - The Essay Portion: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Planning and Writing Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Parts of an Essay: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Sentence Clarity and Structure: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Essay Writing Skills: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Supporting Your Writing: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Writing - Revising Your Writing: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - About the Reading Section: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Sentence Completions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Understanding Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Interpreting & Analyzing Text: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Reading - US Documents & Speeches: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Vocabulary Practice
- SAT Math - About the Math Section: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Numbers and Operations: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Rational Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Quadratic Equations: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Unit Rate & Measurement Conversions: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Geometry and Measurement: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Triangles & Trigonometric Rates: Tutoring Solution
- SAT Math - Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability: Tutoring Solution