About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Saxon Decimal Numbers chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the decimal numbers topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Placing and finding decimals
- Comparing and rounding decimals
- Examples of repeating decimals
- Changing decimals to fractions and percentages
- Adding and subtracting decimals
- Multiplying and dividing decimals
- Estimation with decimals
- Using scientific notation
Saxon is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
2. Placing & Finding Decimals on a Number Line
Decimals are what happens when you break a single piece into tenths, like changing a dollar for dimes or a dime for pennies. In this lesson, we'll explore how to find decimal numbers on the number line.
3. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this video lesson, you'll find out how you can look at any two decimals and immediately tell which is greater than the other. You'll also learn how to quickly sort decimals from least to greatest or vice versa.
4. Repeating Decimals: Definition & Examples
Repeating decimals are a special type of number. In this lesson, we will explore the definition of this number and look at some of the properties it holds.
5. How to Round Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to look at any decimal number and round it any which way you want. Learn the tipping point that determines whether to go up to the next number or not.
6. Changing Between Decimals and Fractions
In this video lesson, you will learn about the usefulness of knowing how to change quickly between decimals and fractions. You will also learn how changing from a decimal to a fraction is different than changing from a fraction to a decimal.
7. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
Watch as we go on a rollercoaster ride in changing from a decimal to percent and then back again. Learn to master this technique so you can get as fast as a rollercoaster going downhill on tests and quizzes when you have to convert between the two.
8. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
9. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do to get a correct answer when multiplying and dividing decimals. Learn the easy tricks to figuring out where the decimal point goes.
10. How to Estimate with Decimals to Solve Math Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can estimate problems with decimals in them so you can get a quick answer when you need it - for example, when you are at the gas station and you need to know how much gas you can afford.
11. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
12. Comparing Numbers Written in Scientific Notation
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to compare numbers written in scientific notation with each other. You will learn how to tell which is larger and which is smaller.
13. How to Multiply & Divide in Scientific Notation
Scientists, engineers, and other people who work with really big or really small numbers often choose to express those numbers in scientific notation. In this lesson, we'll learn how to multiply and divide in scientific notation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Saxon Algebra 1/2 Homeschool: Online Textbook Help course
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Whole Numbers & Operations With Whole Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Fractions
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Roman Numerals
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Graphs of Data
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Graphs on the Coordinate Plane
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Sets
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Number Theory
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Properties of Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: English & Metric Measurement
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Conversion by Unit Multipliers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Ratio & Proportion
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Percent
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Exponents
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Roots
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Probability
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Statistics
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Simplifying Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Polynomials
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Simplifying and Solving Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Linear Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Other Types of Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Functions & Trigonometry
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Lines, Points, Segments, and Planes
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Angles
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Polygons
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Circles
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Triangles
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Geometric Solids
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Perimeter and Circumference
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Area
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Surface Area and Volume
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Constructions
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Pythagorean Theorem