About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Saxon Exponents chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the exponents topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- How to simplify exponents
- Properties of exponents
- How powers of fractions are simplified
- The process for simplifying powers of signed numbers
- The product theorem for exponents
- The zero exponent rule
- How to solve equations that have exponents
- How variables are used as exponents
Saxon is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Exponential Expressions & The Order of Operations
When performing mathematical operations, there is a specific order in which the operations should be performed. This includes when to simplify the exponents. This lesson will describe in what order exponents should be solved as you are performing mathematical operations.
2. How to Simplify Expressions with Exponents
In this video, we will put all of the exponent properties we have learned together. Don't let lots of numbers and letters confuse you! Simplifying exponents can be easy and fun!
3. Simplifying Powers of Fractions
This lesson will go over what powers of fractions are and some basic vocabulary. We will then see two different ways of simplifying powers of fractions and look at some examples showing each method.
4. Exponents with Negative Bases
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use exponents to help you multiply a string of negative numbers. Learn what kinds of negative numbers you can do this with and to write it.
5. Product Theorem for Exponents: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will go over the basics of the Product Theorem for Exponents, explaining how to multiply terms with exponents in them. We will discuss different examples and how to solve them.
6. Negative Exponents: Writing Powers of Fractions and Decimals
Most numbers can be written in different ways, either as a fraction, decimal or exponent. This lesson will teach you how to write fractions and decimals using exponents and how to convert between the two.
7. Solving Equations With Exponents
Many equations have exponents. To solve these equations, you need to know how to deal with these exponents so that you can determine the value of the variable.
8. Zero Exponent: Rule, Definition & Examples
The zero exponent rule states that any term with an exponent of zero is equal to one. This lesson will go into the rule in more detail, explaining how it works and giving some examples. There will also be a quiz to test your knowledge.
9. Variables As Exponents: Practice Problems
We see variables as exponents in a variety of problems in algebra. To better our understanding of this, we will look at some simple expressions and equations which contain variables as exponents. We will view these functions as equations algebraically, and as lines graphically.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Saxon Algebra 1/2 Homeschool: Online Textbook Help course
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Whole Numbers & Operations With Whole Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Fractions
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Decimal Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Roman Numerals
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Graphs of Data
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Graphs on the Coordinate Plane
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Sets
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Number Theory
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Properties of Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: English & Metric Measurement
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Conversion by Unit Multipliers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Ratio & Proportion
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Percent
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Roots
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Probability
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Statistics
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Simplifying Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Polynomials
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Simplifying and Solving Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Linear Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Other Types of Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Functions & Trigonometry
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Lines, Points, Segments, and Planes
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Angles
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Polygons
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Circles
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Triangles
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Geometric Solids
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Perimeter and Circumference
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Area
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Surface Area and Volume
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Constructions
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Pythagorean Theorem