About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Saxon Ratio & Proportion chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the ratio and proportion topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- How word problems with ratios are solved
- How to compute unit prices and unit rates
- How rates and ratios are defined
- The definition for an implied ratio
- What the rate formula is
- How to solve ratio problems
- The cross product method
Saxon is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Solve Ratio Word Problems
We see ratios all around us every day. From the grocery store, to forecasting into the future, to enlarging or shrinking pictures, a command of ratios can be a powerful math tool. In this lesson, learn how to solve word problems with ratios in them.
2. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
3. How to Calculate Unit Rates & Unit Prices
One of the most common uses of math is to find out whether something is a 'good deal.' Unit prices, a special kind of unit rate, allow us to determine the best deals. In this lesson, learn how to calculate unit rates, including unit prices.
4. Implied Ratios: Definition & Examples
Implied ratios show up often in our daily lives. Let's take a look at what implied ratios are and how to solve implied ratio problems. We will use real world examples of these implied ratios to solidify our understanding of the concept.
5. Solving Problems Using Rates
In this video lesson, learn how to set up rate problems so you can easily solve them. You will become familiar with the rate formula and you will see how easy it is to use.
6. Solving Ratio Problems Involving Totals
A brief review of what ratios are will be given, and then we will look at ratio problems involving totals. We will look at the steps involved in solving these types of problems using various examples.
7. Cross Product: Definition, Properties, Rules & Example
The cross product method is a way to compare two fractions. In this lesson, you'll learn how to perform the cross product method accurately and understand the results in order to identify which fraction is bigger or smaller or if the fractions are equivalent.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Saxon Algebra 1/2 Homeschool: Online Textbook Help course
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Whole Numbers & Operations With Whole Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Fractions
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Decimal Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Roman Numerals
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Graphs of Data
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Graphs on the Coordinate Plane
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Sets
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Number Theory
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Properties of Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: English & Metric Measurement
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Conversion by Unit Multipliers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Percent
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Exponents
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Roots
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Probability
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Statistics
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Simplifying Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Polynomials
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Simplifying and Solving Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Linear Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Other Types of Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Functions & Trigonometry
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Lines, Points, Segments, and Planes
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Angles
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Polygons
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Circles
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Triangles
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Geometric Solids
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Perimeter and Circumference
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Area
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Surface Area and Volume
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Constructions
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Pythagorean Theorem