About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Saxon Roots chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the roots topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Finding square, cube and fourth roots
- Using order of operations with roots
- Estimating higher-order roots
- Introduction to negative square roots
Saxon is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
2. How to Find the Cube Root of a Number
After watching this video lesson, you will understand the process of finding the cube root of a number. Learn which numbers have an easy cube root to find and what the cube root means.
3. How to Find the Fourth Root of a Number
In this lesson, we'll go over the basics of roots and exponents, specifically discussing how to find fourth roots and how that relates to exponents. We will go over some specific examples as well.
4. Roots & the Order of Operations
As roots are a type of exponent, they are an important part of the order of operations. In covering roots, we will be reviewing both what makes up the order of operations and how to solve for roots.
5. How to Estimate Higher-Order Roots
In this lesson, students will learn how to calculate and estimate the value of roots. The roots included in specific examples include square, cube, fourth, and fifth, but higher-order roots are mentioned. The examples also include negative roots and what to do when the root is not a whole number or integer and must be estimated.
6. Negative Square Root: Definition & Overview
After completing this lesson, you will know how to write the square root of a negative number. You will also be able to complete mathematical operations that involve square roots of negative numbers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Saxon Algebra 1/2 Homeschool: Online Textbook Help course
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Whole Numbers & Operations With Whole Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Fractions
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Decimal Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Roman Numerals
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Graphs of Data
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Graphs on the Coordinate Plane
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Sets
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Number Theory
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Properties of Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: English & Metric Measurement
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Conversion by Unit Multipliers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Ratio & Proportion
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Percent
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Exponents
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Probability
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Statistics
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Simplifying Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Polynomials
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Simplifying and Solving Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Linear Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Other Types of Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Functions & Trigonometry
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Lines, Points, Segments, and Planes
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Angles
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Polygons
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Circles
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Triangles
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Geometric Solids
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Perimeter and Circumference
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Area
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Surface Area and Volume
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Constructions
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Pythagorean Theorem