About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Saxon Simplifying Expressions chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the simplifying expressions topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Simplifying expressions with integers
- Solving exponential and radical expressions
- Variable exponents and fractional bases
- Negative signs and algebraic expressions
- The distributive property
- Simplifying expressions with parentheses and exponents
- Combining like terms
- Solving complex fractions
Saxon is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Simplify Expressions with Integers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to simplify any integer expression by following the order of operations. Learn what to watch for and in what order to do your operations.
2. Simplifying and Solving Exponential Expressions
What do we do with an exponent? In this lesson, we'll learn how to simplify and solve expressions containing exponents. We'll solve a variety of types of exponential expressions.
3. Multiplying then Simplifying Radical Expressions
Multiplying 2 or more radical expressions uses the same principles as multiplying polynomials, with a few extra rules for dealing with the radicals. This lesson will teach you how to multiply and then simplify radical expressions.
4. How to Simplify Expressions With Variable Exponents
In this lesson, we will learn how to simplify expressions with variable terms that have exponents, with the help of some basic algebra terminology. Some of the key terms we will review are grouping and combining like terms.
5. How to Simplify Expressions With Fractional Bases
Expressions with fractional bases can easily occur in the world around us. This lesson will look at how to simplify these types of expressions through vocabulary, definitions, and examples.
6. Negative Signs and Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
Don't let negative signs get you down. In this lesson, we'll stay positive as we practice simplifying algebraic expressions that have those tricky negative signs.
7. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
8. The Distributive Property and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is great. But sometimes we need to bend the rules to simplify an equation. Fortunately, the distributive property gives us a scenario in which this is okay. Learn all about it in this lesson.
9. How to Simplify an Expression with Parentheses & Exponents
Watch this video lesson to learn how important it is to follow the order of operations. Learn what to do when you see parentheses and exponents in your math problems.
10. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
11. How to Solve Complex Fractions
Did you know fractions can nest within fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about complex fractions and look at two different methods for solving them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Saxon Algebra 1/2 Homeschool: Online Textbook Help course
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Whole Numbers & Operations With Whole Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Fractions
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Decimal Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Roman Numerals
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Graphs of Data
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Graphs on the Coordinate Plane
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Sets
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Number Theory
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Properties of Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: English & Metric Measurement
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Conversion by Unit Multipliers
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Ratio & Proportion
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Percent
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Exponents
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Roots
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Probability
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Statistics
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Polynomials
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Simplifying and Solving Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Linear Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Other Types of Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Functions & Trigonometry
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Lines, Points, Segments, and Planes
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Angles
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Polygons
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Circles
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Triangles
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Geometric Solids
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Perimeter and Circumference
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Area
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Surface Area and Volume
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Constructions
- Saxon Algebra 1/2: Pythagorean Theorem