About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Saxon Percent chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the percentages topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Examples of percentages
- Percent of change
- Solving percent problems
- Visualizing percents
- How to work with percents greater than 100
- Examples of percentage decrease and increase
Saxon is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
2. Percent of Change: Definition, Formula & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what percent of change is and discover the formula to determine percent of change. You'll also see the formula in action in a few examples. Then, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
3. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
4. How to Visualize Percents Using Diagrams
Percents are just numbers with a % symbol after them, but they mean so much more. In this lesson, we'll explore ways to picture them in our mind, helping us to better understand them.
5. How to Use Percents Greater Than 100
In this lesson, we'll look at taking the percentage of a number and we'll specifically look at percentages that are greater than 100. We'll see how to work with these types of percentages and look at some examples.
6. Percentage Increase and Decrease: Calculation and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to calculate the percentage increase and decrease of changes that happen over time. You will also learn what you need in order to make your calculations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Saxon Algebra 1 Homeschool: Online Textbook Help course
- Saxon Algebra 1: Operations With Whole Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1: Fractions
- Saxon Algebra 1: Decimal Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1: Graphs on the Coordinate Plane
- Saxon Algebra 1: Sets
- Saxon Algebra 1: Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1: Number Theory
- Saxon Algebra 1: Properties of Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1: Conversion by Unit Multipliers
- Saxon Algebra 1: Ratio, Rate & Proportion
- Saxon Algebra 1: Exponents
- Saxon Algebra 1: Roots
- Saxon Algebra 1: Probability
- Saxon Algebra 1: Statistics
- Saxon Algebra 1: Simplifying Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 1: Polynomials
- Saxon Algebra 1: Simplifying Rational Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 1: Simplifying and Solving Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1: Linear Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1: Quadratic Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1: Other Types of Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1: Understanding Functions
- Saxon Algebra 1: Lines, Points, Segments, and Planes
- Saxon Algebra 1: Angles
- Saxon Algebra 1: Polygons
- Saxon Algebra 1: Circles
- Saxon Algebra 1: Triangles
- Saxon Algebra 1: Geometric Solids
- Saxon Algebra 1: Perimeter and Circumference
- Saxon Algebra 1: Area
- Saxon Algebra 1: Surface Area and Volume
- Saxon Algebra 1: Pythagorean Theorem