About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Saxon Real Numbers chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the real numbers topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Kinds of numbers
- Prime and composite numbers
- Operations with decimal numbers
- Performing addition
- Performing subtraction
- Performing multiplication
- Performing division
- Absolute values
- Negative numbers
- Operations with signed numbers
- Braces, parentheses and brackets
- Order of operations
Saxon is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. Identifying Prime & Composite Numbers
In this video lesson, you will learn how to identify both prime and composite numbers. You will also learn what makes the numbers unique, as well as the characteristics of both these types of numbers.
3. Arithmetic with Decimal Numbers
Watch this video lesson and see how our little professor goes about adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing decimal numbers all without the use of a calculator!
4. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
5. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
6. How to Perform Multiplication: Steps & Examples
Multiplication, one of the basic operations of math, is important not just in elementary math but also in higher math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can multiply with ease.
7. How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide. Division is one of the basic operations of math. It is one of the fundamental operations that all higher mathematics depends upon.
8. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
9. Introduction to Negative Numbers
Watch this video lesson to see how negative numbers appear on the number line. Learn how they are ordered and how you can easily order a set of negative numbers that are given to you.
10. Arithmetic Calculations with Signed Numbers
Signed numbers are often referred to as integers. Integers include both positive and negative numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
11. Parentheses, Braces & Brackets in Math
They might look similar, but parentheses, brackets, and braces are not the same. Learn how each of them is used in mathematics, from order of operations to matrices.
12. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Saxon Algebra 1 Homeschool: Online Textbook Help course
- Saxon Algebra 1: Operations With Whole Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1: Fractions
- Saxon Algebra 1: Decimal Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1: Graphs on the Coordinate Plane
- Saxon Algebra 1: Sets
- Saxon Algebra 1: Number Theory
- Saxon Algebra 1: Properties of Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1: Conversion by Unit Multipliers
- Saxon Algebra 1: Ratio, Rate & Proportion
- Saxon Algebra 1: Percent
- Saxon Algebra 1: Exponents
- Saxon Algebra 1: Roots
- Saxon Algebra 1: Probability
- Saxon Algebra 1: Statistics
- Saxon Algebra 1: Simplifying Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 1: Polynomials
- Saxon Algebra 1: Simplifying Rational Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 1: Simplifying and Solving Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1: Linear Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1: Quadratic Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1: Other Types of Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1: Understanding Functions
- Saxon Algebra 1: Lines, Points, Segments, and Planes
- Saxon Algebra 1: Angles
- Saxon Algebra 1: Polygons
- Saxon Algebra 1: Circles
- Saxon Algebra 1: Triangles
- Saxon Algebra 1: Geometric Solids
- Saxon Algebra 1: Perimeter and Circumference
- Saxon Algebra 1: Area
- Saxon Algebra 1: Surface Area and Volume
- Saxon Algebra 1: Pythagorean Theorem