About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Saxon Roots chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the roots topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Finding numbers' square roots and cube roots
- Determining the fourth root of a number
- The order of operations pertaining to roots
- Negative square root
- Product of square roots rule
- Adding and subtracting with radical notation
- Multiplying radical expressions
- Solving radical equations
- Using the quotient rule for simplifying square roots
Saxon is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
2. How to Find the Cube Root of a Number
After watching this video lesson, you will understand the process of finding the cube root of a number. Learn which numbers have an easy cube root to find and what the cube root means.
3. How to Find the Fourth Root of a Number
In this lesson, we'll go over the basics of roots and exponents, specifically discussing how to find fourth roots and how that relates to exponents. We will go over some specific examples as well.
4. Roots & the Order of Operations
As roots are a type of exponent, they are an important part of the order of operations. In covering roots, we will be reviewing both what makes up the order of operations and how to solve for roots.
5. Negative Square Root: Definition & Overview
After completing this lesson, you will know how to write the square root of a negative number. You will also be able to complete mathematical operations that involve square roots of negative numbers.
6. Product of Square Roots Rule: Definition & Example
Square roots show up often in the world around us. In this lesson, we'll go over the product of square roots rule. We'll look at multiple ways to apply this rule through various examples and explanations.
7. Addition and Subtraction Using Radical Notation
There are specific rules governing adding and subtracting radical expressions. This lesson will describe these rules and give examples of how they are used.
8. Multiplying Radical Expressions with Two or More Terms
Multiplying radical expressions with more than two terms can be confusing. This lesson will take some of the confusion away by giving clear steps for multiplying these expressions. It will also provide some examples to help solidify the steps.
9. Solving Radical Equations: Steps and Examples
Solving radical equations is not any more difficult than solving other algebraic equations. This lesson will show you how to solve equations containing a square root and give some real-world examples.
10. Simplify Square Roots of Quotients
The quotient rule can be used to simplify square roots of quotients. This lesson will define the quotient rule and show you how it is used to simplify square roots.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Saxon Algebra 1 Homeschool: Online Textbook Help course
- Saxon Algebra 1: Operations With Whole Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1: Fractions
- Saxon Algebra 1: Decimal Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1: Graphs on the Coordinate Plane
- Saxon Algebra 1: Sets
- Saxon Algebra 1: Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1: Number Theory
- Saxon Algebra 1: Properties of Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 1: Conversion by Unit Multipliers
- Saxon Algebra 1: Ratio, Rate & Proportion
- Saxon Algebra 1: Percent
- Saxon Algebra 1: Exponents
- Saxon Algebra 1: Probability
- Saxon Algebra 1: Statistics
- Saxon Algebra 1: Simplifying Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 1: Polynomials
- Saxon Algebra 1: Simplifying Rational Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 1: Simplifying and Solving Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1: Linear Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1: Quadratic Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1: Other Types of Equations
- Saxon Algebra 1: Understanding Functions
- Saxon Algebra 1: Lines, Points, Segments, and Planes
- Saxon Algebra 1: Angles
- Saxon Algebra 1: Polygons
- Saxon Algebra 1: Circles
- Saxon Algebra 1: Triangles
- Saxon Algebra 1: Geometric Solids
- Saxon Algebra 1: Perimeter and Circumference
- Saxon Algebra 1: Area
- Saxon Algebra 1: Surface Area and Volume
- Saxon Algebra 1: Pythagorean Theorem