About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Saxon Polygons chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the polygon topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Definition and properties of triangles, squares, trapezoids, rhombuses and rectangles
- Equilateral, equiangular and congruent polygons
- Proof theorems for parallelograms
- Shape and area of pentagons
- Area and angles of hexagons
- Translating, rotating and reflecting polygons
- Symmetry, vertices and number of diagonals in polygons
Saxon is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.'
1. What Are Polygons? - Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to see how the shapes that you grew up with are all related. Learn why the shapes of bricks, stars, and street blocks are considered polygons while the sun, moon, and rolling hills are not.
2. Equilateral & Equiangular Polygons: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will discuss definitions and examples of special polygons--geometric figures with straight sides. Equilateral ones have matching side lengths. Equiangular ones have matching angles. Some polygons have both.
3. Triangles: Definition and Properties
What makes a shape a triangle? In this lesson, we'll explore the definition of a triangle, then analyze the parts of triangles, including the vertices, base and height.
4. What is a Quadrilateral? - Definition, Properties, Types & Examples
This lesson explains the definition and properties of a quadrilateral. We will look at examples of two categories of quadrilaterals. At the end, you will be able to test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Squares: Definition and Properties
Squares can be found in many places in the real world. Watch this video lesson to see how useful they can be and also to learn how to find the perimeter and area of a square.
6. Trapezoids: Definition and Properties
Watch this video lesson to learn what a trapezoid has to do with a triangle. Also, learn the special words that describe the various parts of a trapezoid. You will also see special types of trapezoids.
7. Parallelograms: Definition, Properties, and Proof Theorems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can identify parallelograms. You will see the unique properties that belong to the parallelogram. You will see the special side and angle characteristics needed to prove a certain shape is a parallelogram.
8. What Is a Rhombus? - Definition and Properties
Watch this video lesson to learn why rhombuses are a special type of quadrilateral. Also, learn why a rhombus is also a parallelogram. Watch as we explore the sides and angles of a rhombus.
9. Rectangles: Definition, Properties & Construction
Watch this video lesson to learn a bit about rectangles. Learn why rectangles are the building blocks of many homes. Also, learn about the properties that make a rectangle unique from other shapes. Finally, learn how you can draw one.
10. What is a Pentagon? - Shape, Area & Definition
This lesson will prepare you to work with pentagons by teaching you the definition, description of the geometric shape, and the formula for finding its area.
11. What is a Hexagon? - Definition, Area & Angles
Hexagons are interesting geometric shapes and appear in many areas of nature and life. In this lesson, learn all about the hexagon, its angles, and how to find its area. When you have finished, review what you've learned with our short self-assessment quiz!
12. Congruent Polygons: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review what polygons are, and you'll discover the conditions that polygons must meet in order to be congruent. Then, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
13. How to Translate, Rotate & Reflect Polygons
In this lesson, we will study transformations of figures and show how this concept could be used to decode a message. Using examples, we will learn about translations, rotations and reflections of polygons.
14. Polygons: Symmetry & Vertices
In this lesson, we'll go over the basics of what polygons are, specifically focusing on symmetry in polygons and where the vertices can be found. We'll look at examples and images to examine these concepts.
15. How to Find the Number of Diagonals in a Polygon
At first, you might think that the diagonals of a polygon are pretty useless, but watch this video lesson to learn how diagonals are used in real life. You will learn the formula to find how many diagonals a polygon has as well as how to use it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Saxon Algebra 2 Homeschool: Online Textbook Help course
- Saxon Algebra 2: Decimal Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 2: Graphs on the Coordinate Plane
- Saxon Algebra 2: Sets
- Saxon Algebra 2: Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 2: Complex Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 2: Conversion by Unit Multipliers
- Saxon Algebra 2: Ratio & Proportion
- Saxon Algebra 2: Percent
- Saxon Algebra 2: Rate
- Saxon Algebra 2: Exponents
- Saxon Algebra 2: Exponents on a Scientific Calculator
- Saxon Algebra 2: Roots
- Saxon Algebra 2: Probability
- Saxon Algebra 2: Statistics
- Saxon Algebra 2: Simplifying Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 2: Polynomials
- Saxon Algebra 2: Simplifying Rational Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 2: Simplifying and Solving Equations
- Saxon Algebra 2: Linear Equations
- Saxon Algebra 2: Solving Linear Equations
- Saxon Algebra 2: Quadratic Equations
- Saxon Algebra 2: Other Types of Equations
- Saxon Algebra 2: Understanding Functions
- Saxon Algebra 2: Manipulating and Evaluating Functions
- Saxon Algebra 2: Trigonometry
- Saxon Algebra 2: Logarithms
- Saxon Algebra 2: Lines, Points, Segments, and Planes
- Saxon Algebra 2: Angles
- Saxon Algebra 2: Circles
- Saxon Algebra 2: Triangles
- Saxon Algebra 2: Geometric Solids
- Saxon Algebra 2: Perimeter and Circumference
- Saxon Algebra 2: Area
- Saxon Algebra 2: Surface Area and Volume
- Saxon Algebra 2: Constructions
- Saxon Algebra 2: Postulates & Pythagorean Theorem
- Saxon Algebra 2: Proofs