About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Saxon Quadratic Equations chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the quadratic equations topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- What quadratic equations are
- How to solve quadratic equations with factoring
- Difference of two squares theorem
- Steps involved in completing the square
- The quadratic formula
- Ways to determine lead coefficients in quadratic equations
- Definition of a discriminant
Saxon is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to learn that quadratic equations are an important part of the world we live in. We sometimes even make use of them for our entertainment! Watch this video lesson to learn more about these equations.
2. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
If your favorite video game, 'Furious Fowls,' gave you the quadratic equation for each shot you made, would you be able to solve the equation to make sure every one hit its target? If not, you will after watching this video!
3. How to Use the Difference of Two Squares Theorem to Solve Quadratic Equations
When a quadratic formula is made up of the difference between two perfect squares, factoring becomes much easier. In this lesson we'll explore how to use the Difference Between Two Squares Theorem to solve certain quadratic equations.
4. How to Complete the Square
Completing the square can help you learn where the maximum or minimum of a parabola is. If you're running a business and trying to make some money, it might be a good idea to know how to do this! Find out what I'm talking about here.
5. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
6. How to Identify Lead Coefficients in Quadratic Equations
In this lesson, will will go over some basics of quadratic equations and coefficients, specifically leading coefficients and how to find them. We will review examples and special cases.
7. Discriminant: Definition & Explanation
The discriminant helps you to solve quadratic equations. In this lesson, you will learn how to identify the discriminant and how to use it to help you find the number of solutions in a quadratic equation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Saxon Algebra 2 Homeschool: Online Textbook Help course
- Saxon Algebra 2: Decimal Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 2: Graphs on the Coordinate Plane
- Saxon Algebra 2: Sets
- Saxon Algebra 2: Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 2: Complex Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 2: Conversion by Unit Multipliers
- Saxon Algebra 2: Ratio & Proportion
- Saxon Algebra 2: Percent
- Saxon Algebra 2: Rate
- Saxon Algebra 2: Exponents
- Saxon Algebra 2: Exponents on a Scientific Calculator
- Saxon Algebra 2: Roots
- Saxon Algebra 2: Probability
- Saxon Algebra 2: Statistics
- Saxon Algebra 2: Simplifying Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 2: Polynomials
- Saxon Algebra 2: Simplifying Rational Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 2: Simplifying and Solving Equations
- Saxon Algebra 2: Linear Equations
- Saxon Algebra 2: Solving Linear Equations
- Saxon Algebra 2: Other Types of Equations
- Saxon Algebra 2: Understanding Functions
- Saxon Algebra 2: Manipulating and Evaluating Functions
- Saxon Algebra 2: Trigonometry
- Saxon Algebra 2: Logarithms
- Saxon Algebra 2: Lines, Points, Segments, and Planes
- Saxon Algebra 2: Angles
- Saxon Algebra 2: Polygons
- Saxon Algebra 2: Circles
- Saxon Algebra 2: Triangles
- Saxon Algebra 2: Geometric Solids
- Saxon Algebra 2: Perimeter and Circumference
- Saxon Algebra 2: Area
- Saxon Algebra 2: Surface Area and Volume
- Saxon Algebra 2: Constructions
- Saxon Algebra 2: Postulates & Pythagorean Theorem
- Saxon Algebra 2: Proofs