About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Saxon Statistics chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the statistics topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Stem-and-leaf displays
- Box plots
- Central tendency, median, mode and mean
- Normal curves in statistics
- Standard deviation
Saxon is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Creating & Reading Stem & Leaf Displays
Every once in a while you will come across stem-and-leaf displays in statistics. These displays can be very useful in identifying all of the values in a data set while still visually representing the data.
2. Creating & Interpreting Histograms: Process & Examples
Creating histograms can help you easily identify and interpret data. This lesson will give you several examples to better understand histograms and how to create them.
3. Creating & Interpreting Box Plots: Process & Examples
Box plots are an essential tool in statistical analysis. This lesson will help you create a box plot and understand its meaning. When you are finished, test your understanding with a short quiz!
4. Measures of Central Tendency: Definitions & Practice
After watching this video, you will be able to explain the meaning of the terms central tendency, mode, mean and median. You will also be able to calculate these three values from provided data. A short quiz will follow.
5. Normal Distribution: Definition, Properties, Characteristics & Example
In this lesson, we will look at the Normal Distribution, more commonly known as the Bell Curve. We'll look at some of its fascinating properties and learn why it is one of the most important distributions in the study of data.
6. Calculating the Standard Deviation
In this lesson, we will examine the meaning and process of calculating the standard deviation of a data set. Standard deviation can help to determine if the data set is a normal distribution.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Saxon Algebra 2 Homeschool: Online Textbook Help course
- Saxon Algebra 2: Decimal Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 2: Graphs on the Coordinate Plane
- Saxon Algebra 2: Sets
- Saxon Algebra 2: Real Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 2: Complex Numbers
- Saxon Algebra 2: Conversion by Unit Multipliers
- Saxon Algebra 2: Ratio & Proportion
- Saxon Algebra 2: Percent
- Saxon Algebra 2: Rate
- Saxon Algebra 2: Exponents
- Saxon Algebra 2: Exponents on a Scientific Calculator
- Saxon Algebra 2: Roots
- Saxon Algebra 2: Probability
- Saxon Algebra 2: Simplifying Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 2: Polynomials
- Saxon Algebra 2: Simplifying Rational Expressions
- Saxon Algebra 2: Simplifying and Solving Equations
- Saxon Algebra 2: Linear Equations
- Saxon Algebra 2: Solving Linear Equations
- Saxon Algebra 2: Quadratic Equations
- Saxon Algebra 2: Other Types of Equations
- Saxon Algebra 2: Understanding Functions
- Saxon Algebra 2: Manipulating and Evaluating Functions
- Saxon Algebra 2: Trigonometry
- Saxon Algebra 2: Logarithms
- Saxon Algebra 2: Lines, Points, Segments, and Planes
- Saxon Algebra 2: Angles
- Saxon Algebra 2: Polygons
- Saxon Algebra 2: Circles
- Saxon Algebra 2: Triangles
- Saxon Algebra 2: Geometric Solids
- Saxon Algebra 2: Perimeter and Circumference
- Saxon Algebra 2: Area
- Saxon Algebra 2: Surface Area and Volume
- Saxon Algebra 2: Constructions
- Saxon Algebra 2: Postulates & Pythagorean Theorem
- Saxon Algebra 2: Proofs