About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Decimals chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the decimals topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the decimals topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Decimal place value
- How to work with decimals
- Converting between decimals and fractions
- Changing repeating decimals into fractions
- Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing decimals
- Mentally dividing and multiplying decimals
- Leading and trailing zeros
- Decimal, percent and fraction charts
Saxon is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In mathematics, decimals provide a shorthand method for writing mixed numbers and fractions to the powers of ten. Learn about decimals and decimal place values, and understand how to read decimals. Recognize that the placement of decimals matters tremendously, so it is vital to ensure the decimal is in the correct place.
2. Working with Decimals
Decimal numbers appear as a number with a period, followed by a series of digits, representing a partial number such as a half (0.5) or a quarter (0.25). Learn how to read and write decimals, and understand the concept of strings of zeros, the size of these numbers, and steps of rounding and scientific notation.
3. Converting Decimals to Fractions (and Back)
In mathematics, decimals and fractions both represent numbers that are not whole. Learn how to convert decimals to fractions, as well as how to convert fractions to decimals. Work problems to gain more understanding.
4. Converting Repeating Decimals into Fractions
A repeating decimal is a decimal that continues to repeat a series of numbers, such as 0.2222.... With examples, learn how to convert a repeating decimal into a fraction by writing two equations and subtracting to find the fraction.
5. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Certain steps, like the alignment of the digits in an equation, are very important when adding and subtracting using decimals. Learn about adding and subtracting using decimals through a series of examples, including practice word problems.
6. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
When multiplying and dividing decimal numbers, there are rules about what to do with the decimal point. Learn how to multiply and divide decimal numbers, and practice with real-world word problem examples.
7. Mentally Multiplying & Dividing Decimals by 10 & 100
In life, we don't always carry our calculators, smartphones, or even paper and pencil, yet we are constantly required to do math. Multiplying and dividing by 10 and 100 are two of the more commonly used math applications, which this lesson will show you how to do quickly and accurately 'in your head.'
8. Dividing Decimals: Steps, Rules & Examples
Decimal division requires specific steps. Learn division terminology and the rules for dividing with decimals in the divisor and/or dividend. See examples to understand the steps involved.
9. How Zeros Are Used in Decimals
In decimals, zeros have a unique use, and they are also useful in different situations. In this lesson, dive into decimal numbers, leading zeros, trailing zeros, and when to use trailing zeros.
10. Using Fraction, Decimal & Percent Charts
In this lesson, we will learn how to use a fraction, decimal, and percent chart. Also in this lesson, we learn how to convert among fractions, decimals, and percents.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Online Textbook Help course
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Whole Number & Money Arithmetic
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Equations & Order of Operations
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Fractional Parts
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Lines, Segments & Rays
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Perimeter of Geometric Shapes
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Number Lines
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Sequences, Symmetry & Scale
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Problem Solving Strategies
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Place Value, Negative Numbers & Rounding
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Line Graphs
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Prime Factorization & GCF
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Divisibility
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Ratios & Proportions
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Expanded Notation & Time Problems
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Operations With Fractions & Mixed Numbers
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Reducing Fractions
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Multiples
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Percents
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Comparing & Simplifying Decimals
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Square Roots
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Exponents
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Circles
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Triangles
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Angles
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Quadrilaterals
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Complex Shapes & Cylinders
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Geometry Formulas
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Functions & Graphing
- Saxon Math 7/6 Homeschool: Operations With Integers