About This Chapter
SBA ELA - Grade 11: Sentence Types & Parts - Chapter Summary
The focus of this chapter in the 11th Grade SBA ELA course is designed to improve your basic sentence composition skills. You can review the types of sentences and the functions of their component parts. Instruction includes information on:
- Simple, compound, and complex sentences
- Subjects, predicates, objects, and clauses
- Sentence fragments, run-on sentences, and comma splices
- Agreement between verb tenses and subjects
- Uncommon plural nouns and pronouns
- Sentence agreement
The videos in our lessons are all brief, but packed with useful information and memorable graphics. You will have no problem remembering the information presented here when it comes time to prove your command of these basic English language skills. The lessons include a transcript of the lecture with key terms bolded.
SBA ELA - Grade 11: Sentence Types & Parts Chapter Objectives
Writing and editing sentences are critical skills in completing the SBA for 11th Grade English Language Arts; around half of the assessment items require students to write or answer questions about writing. Completing the work in this chapter can increase your confidence and boost your skills in crafting comprehensible and agreeable sentences. T
1. Types of Sentences: Simple, Compound & Complex
Sentences can be categorized as simple, compound, and complex. In this lesson, you'll learn about all three, break down example sentences, and test yourself at the end with a short quiz.
2. Parts of a Sentence: Subject, Predicate, Object & Clauses
Some of the most basic sentence parts are subjects, predicates, objects, and clauses. In this lesson, you'll define these parts, learn how they function in sentences and discover why that knowledge is important for the AP test.
3. How to Identify the Subject of a Sentence
Don't pass over this lesson! You may think you know how to find subjects and verbs in a sentence, but picking them out can be harder than you think. Identifying subjects and verbs is the first step to unlocking nearly everything else about English composition.
4. Sentence Fragments, Comma Splices and Run-on Sentences
Sentence fragments, comma splices, and run-on sentences are grammatical and stylistic bugs that can seriously derail an otherwise polished academic paper. Learn how to identify and eliminate these errors in your own writing here.
5. Verb Tense & Subject-Verb Agreement
Learn all about verb tense and subject-verb agreement in our first lesson on this tricky topic. We'll look at examples to help you understand this concept.
6. Subject-Verb Agreement: Using Uncommon Singular and Plural Nouns and Pronouns
Subject-verb agreement is a tricky beast. Learn which uncommon singular and plural nouns and pronouns are most likely to trip you up when trying to craft essays with good grammar.
7. Sentence Agreement: Avoiding Faulty Collective Ownership
A common error occurs whenever a writer uses wording that suggests that a lot of people own or use just one thing, when really they all own or use their own separate things. This video will explain how to identify and fix this type of error.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Smarter Balanced Assessments - ELA Grade 11: Test Prep & Practice course
- SBA ELA - Grade 11: Parts of Speech
- SBA ELA - Grade 11: Spelling, Capitalization & Punctuation
- SBA ELA - Grade 11: Reading Basics
- SBA ELA - Grade 11: Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- SBA ELA - Grade 11: Literary Analysis
- SBA ELA - Grade 11: Figurative Language
- SBA ELA - Grade 11: Fiction Analysis
- SBA ELA - Grade 11: Introduction to Nonfiction
- SBA ELA - Grade 11: Informational & Scientific Text Analysis
- SBA ELA - Grade 11: Analyzing US Historical Documents
- SBA ELA - Grade 11: Writing Basics
- SBA ELA - Grade 11: Academic Elements of Writing
- SBA ELA - Grade 11: Effective Listening
- SBA ELA - Grade 11: Listening & Speaking Skills
- Smarter Balanced Assessments - ELA Grade 11 Flashcards