About This Chapter
SBA ELA - Grades 3-5: Sentence Types & Parts - Chapter Summary
No matter how busy your child's extracurricular life may be, you'll be able to find time to give them quality Smarter Balanced Assessments (SBA) for English Language Arts preparation with these lessons. In short, 10-minute-or-less chunks your student will get refresher courses on the ins and outs of sentences as they work through this chapter. In these lessons our experts explain:
- Simple, compound, and complex sentences
- The basic parts of a sentence
- How to identify subjects
- Sentence fragments and run-on sentences
- How to avoid subject-verb and sentence disagreement
Our lessons are a practical and versatile platform for reviewing material your student is learning in school. The videos are designed to be fun and educational, and they are formatted to be compatible with mobile devices so your student can get their practice while on the road between school and soccer and gymnastics. Print out the lesson transcript for a study guide with key terms highlighted. Have students complete the chapter test to see if they are ready to move on to our other chapters or if they may need to review certain videos again.
1. Types of Sentences: Simple, Compound & Complex
Sentences can be categorized as simple, compound, and complex. In this lesson, you'll learn about all three, break down example sentences, and test yourself at the end with a short quiz.
2. Parts of a Sentence: Subject, Predicate, Object & Clauses
Some of the most basic sentence parts are subjects, predicates, objects, and clauses. In this lesson, you'll define these parts, learn how they function in sentences and discover why that knowledge is important for the AP test.
3. How to Identify the Subject of a Sentence
Don't pass over this lesson! You may think you know how to find subjects and verbs in a sentence, but picking them out can be harder than you think. Identifying subjects and verbs is the first step to unlocking nearly everything else about English composition.
4. Sentence Fragments, Comma Splices and Run-on Sentences
Sentence fragments, comma splices, and run-on sentences are grammatical and stylistic bugs that can seriously derail an otherwise polished academic paper. Learn how to identify and eliminate these errors in your own writing here.
5. Verb Tense & Subject-Verb Agreement
Learn all about verb tense and subject-verb agreement in our first lesson on this tricky topic. We'll look at examples to help you understand this concept.
6. Subject-Verb Agreement: Using Uncommon Singular and Plural Nouns and Pronouns
Subject-verb agreement is a tricky beast. Learn which uncommon singular and plural nouns and pronouns are most likely to trip you up when trying to craft essays with good grammar.
7. Sentence Agreement: Avoiding Faulty Collective Ownership
A common error occurs whenever a writer uses wording that suggests that a lot of people own or use just one thing, when really they all own or use their own separate things. This video will explain how to identify and fix this type of error.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Smarter Balanced Assessments - ELA Grades 3-5: Test Prep & Practice course
- SBA ELA - Grades 3-5: Parts of Speech
- SBA - ELA Grades 3-5: Spelling, Capitalization & Punctuation
- SBA ELA - Grades 3-5: Reading Basics
- SBA ELA - Grades 3-5: Reading Interpretation & Analysis
- SBA ELA - Grades 3-5: Literary Analysis
- SBA ELA - Grades 3-5: Figurative Language
- SBA ELA - Grades 3-5: Fiction Analysis
- SBA ELA - Grades 3-5: Introduction to Nonfiction
- SBA ELA - Grades 3-5: Informational & Scientific Text Analysis
- SBA ELA - Grades 3-5: Writing Basics
- SBA ELA - Grades 3-5: Academic Elements of Writing
- SBA - ELA Grades 3-5: Effective Listening
- SBA - ELA Grades 3-5: Listening & Speaking Skills
- Smarter Balanced Assessments - ELA Grades 3-5 Flashcards