About This Chapter
SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Clear & Precise Writing - Chapter Summary
The SBA ELA (Smarter Balanced Assessment English Language Arts/Literacy) for grades 6-8 assesses student skills related to competencies in writing concisely. This collection of video lessons addresses all of the following topics:
- Avoiding redundancy in writing
- Use of precise language
- Strategies for writing clear sentences
- Reducing wordiness in writing
Lessons are led by experienced instructors who make learning fun for middle school students. Videos have animations and handy video tags so that students can return to select portions as needed. Each lesson offers an accompanying quiz to let students and teachers observe progress.
1. How to Avoid Redundancy in Your Writing
Does your writing redundantly say the same thing twice? Is it full of unnecessary and inessential repetition of things you've already said before? Learn how to fix it here!
2. The Importance of Using Precise Language in Writing
The simple tips in this lesson will help your writing come to life. Learn how to choose particular nouns and verbs that are active or that show precise states of being, perfect modifiers, and, as an added bonus, a very powerful writing tool: similes.
3. How Word Choice and Language Sets the Tone of Your Essay
In this video, we will discuss how word choice sets the tone for your essay. This includes letting the reader know if you are angry, happy or even attempting to refrain from bias. These tools bring your 'voice' into your writing.
4. Sentence Clarity: How to Write Clear Sentences
Just because you know a good sentence when you read one doesn't mean that you think it's easy to put one together - forget about writing an essay's worth. Learn how to write clear sentences and turn rough ones into gems.
5. How to Identify & Reduce Wordiness in Writing
The overuse of words is a very problematic issue in any form of writing. But how do you actually cut down on wordiness? This lesson gives tips on how to identify and reduce wordiness.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Smarter Balanced Assessments - ELA Grades 6-8: Test Prep & Practice course
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Parts of Speech
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Verbs & Adverbs
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Phrases & Clauses
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Types of Sentences
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Grammar Conventions
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Spelling Rules
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Inference & Context in Comprehension
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Identifying the Meaning of Words
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Recognizing Literary Elements
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Organization of Written Works
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Literary Genres & Other Types of Text
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Analyzing Literary Fiction
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Analyzing Literary Drama
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Types of Poetry
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Interpreting Prose
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Persuasive Texts
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Reading Informational Texts
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Writing Effective Compositions
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Narrative Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Expository Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Research Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Strategies for Effective Speaking
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Being an Effective Listener
- Smarter Balanced Assessments - ELA Grades 6-8 Flashcards