About This Chapter
SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Literary Genres & Other Types of Text - Chapter Summary
Our chapter dealing with literary genres and various other types of text can help your students get ready for the SBA ELA (Smarter Balanced Assessment English Language Arts/Literacy). The test is aligned with the Common Core State Standards, and it assesses your 6-8 students' competencies in the following topics included in this chapter:
- Comparison of legend, myth, folktale and fable
- Period, subject, enumerative and annotated bibliography
- Didactic literature
- Informative and evaluative essays
Our lessons are written by subject-matter experts who have a knack for making learning fun. Video lessons contain amusing animations and full transcripts, while the print lessons offer links to additional lessons for extra support.
1. The Fable, Folktale, Myth, Legend: Differences and Examples
In this lesson, learn about fables, folktales, myths and legends, stories that entertain and serve instructive or educational purposes. Discover how these types of stories differ from one another and about their prevalence throughout the world.
2. Autobiography: Definition & Examples
This lesson examines the genre of nonfiction. Specifically, you will learn how an autobiography is nonfiction, with examples illustrating the concepts.
3. Period Bibliography: Definition & Examples
Find out what period bibliographies are, how they're different from other types of bibliographies, and how they're useful. Read the lesson, and then take a brief quiz to test your new knowledge.
4. Subject Bibliography: Definition & Examples
Find out what a subject bibliography is and how it can be useful to your research essay or project. Learn what goes into a subject bibliography, then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
5. Enumerative Bibliography: Definition & Examples
A bibliography is a listing of sources of information on a topic. There are a few different types of bibliographies, but the enumerative bibliography is one of the most commonly used. Let's take a closer look.
6. Annotated Bibliography: Definition & Examples
Learn what annotated bibliographies are and how they're used in the research process. In this lesson, we'll discuss what it means to annotate and what to include in annotated bibliographies for research essays and projects.
7. Folk Literature: Definition & Books
From China to Israel to the United States, folk literature exists wherever there are humans to tell stories or to sing songs. Come hear more about these pieces of oral heritage and encounter some examples of the genre that you're sure to recognize!
8. Didactic Literature: Definition & Examples
This lesson discusses didactic literature and goes over examples of this type of writing. Learn the definition, history, and a few literary examples of this enlightening genre!
9. Essay: Writing & Examples
What is an essay? An essay is a piece of nonfiction writing that expresses various genres or styles of prose depending on the subject, content, purpose, and audience of the particular piece.
10. Informative Essay: Definition, Examples & Structure
There are many ways to inform your reader on a topic, from comparing and contrasting to providing a simple definition. Watch this lesson to learn about informative essays and how they educate readers through different formats.
11. Evaluative Essay: Examples, Format & Characteristics
A good evaluative essay helps a writer present an opinion using criteria and evidence. Learn all about the evaluative essay and its components in this lesson.
12. Literary Genres: Definition, Types, Characteristics & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn what is meant by the term genre. In addition, the main types of literary genres will be described, with examples given for each.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Smarter Balanced Assessments - ELA Grades 6-8: Test Prep & Practice course
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Parts of Speech
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Verbs & Adverbs
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Comma Rules
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Modifiers
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Phrases & Clauses
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Types of Sentences
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Grammar Conventions
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Spelling Rules
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Inference & Context in Comprehension
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Identifying the Meaning of Words
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Figures of Speech
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Recognizing Literary Elements
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Organization of Written Works
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Identifying Climax & Plot
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Identifying Themes in Written Works
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Analyzing Literary Nonfiction
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Analyzing Literary Fiction
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Types of Literary Fiction
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Analyzing Literary Drama
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Types of Poetry
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Interpreting Prose
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Point of View in Literature
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Persuasive Texts
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Reading Informational Texts
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: The Writing Process
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Writing Effective Compositions
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Clear & Precise Writing
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Narrative Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Expository Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Research Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Using Supporting Evidence
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Citing Sources
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Strategies for Effective Speaking
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Being an Effective Listener
- Smarter Balanced Assessments - ELA Grades 6-8 Flashcards