About This Chapter
SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Persuasive Writing Strategies - Chapter Summary
This collection of video and text lessons will reinforce your students' understanding of effective persuasive writing strategies for the SBA ELA (Smarter Balanced Assessment English Language Arts/Literacy) 6-8. Take a last look at writing devices, patterns of organization and ethics before test day. All of the following topics are included:
- Components of persuasive essays
- Use of counterarguments
- Pathos, logos and ethos
- Organization of persuasive speeches
- Persuasive essays with sources
- Examples of ethical appeal
Our animated video lessons make learning fun and offer handy video tags for easy return to specific portions of the presentations. The text lessons are also written by experienced instructors and provide links to extra information for even more learning support. The optional quizzes and chapter test will indicate if any additional review is required.
1. Components of Writing a Persuasive Essay
In this lesson, we will define persuasive writing, look at the different goals of a persuasive essay, and then discuss how to plan and develop a persuasive topic.
2. How to Engage Readers by Picking and Developing an Appeal
There are three types of appeals that you can use in your persuasive writing to make your arguments more effective. In this video, you'll learn about logical, ethical, and emotional appeals as well as how to use them.
3. Patterns of Organization for Persuasive Speeches
Organizing information for a persuasive speech will help to convince your audience of your point and keeps information flowing in a logical order. This can be done using a problem/solution order or Monroe's motivated sequence pattern.
4. How to Write a Persuasive Essay and Use Several Sources
In a persuasive essay in which you cite multiple sources, it's important to strike the right balance and use your sources to support your points without depending on them too much. In this lesson, we'll cover how to use multiple sources effectively to support your argument while still fully developing your own ideas in a persuasive essay.
5. What is a Counterargument? - Definition & Examples
Find out what counterarguments are and how to use them in your persuasive writing. Learn about the importance of counterarguments and how to refute them. Read the lesson and then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
6. Persuasive Devices in Writing: Definition & Examples
Also known as rhetoric, persuasive writing is something you may do without even realizing! This lesson will break down its basic components and help you to excel in the art of persuasion.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Smarter Balanced Assessments - ELA Grades 6-8: Test Prep & Practice course
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Parts of Speech
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Verbs & Adverbs
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Phrases & Clauses
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Types of Sentences
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Grammar Conventions
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Spelling Rules
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Inference & Context in Comprehension
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Identifying the Meaning of Words
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Recognizing Literary Elements
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Organization of Written Works
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Literary Genres & Other Types of Text
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Analyzing Literary Fiction
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Analyzing Literary Drama
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Types of Poetry
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Interpreting Prose
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Persuasive Texts
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Reading Informational Texts
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Writing Effective Compositions
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Clear & Precise Writing
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Narrative Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Expository Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Research Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Strategies for Effective Speaking
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Being an Effective Listener
- Smarter Balanced Assessments - ELA Grades 6-8 Flashcards