About This Chapter
SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Spelling Rules - Chapter Summary
Get ready for the SBA ELA (Smarter Balanced Assessment English Language Arts) with this chapter of entertaining video lessons. Students in grades 6-8 will review spelling strategies connected to plurals, prefixes, homonyms and hyphenated words, in addition to other practical spelling skills. The following topics are all included in this comprehensive chapter:
- Spelling rules for plural nouns and words with doubled and dropped letters
- English rules for prefixes, suffixes and endings
- Knowing when to combine words
- Differentiating between words that sound alike
- Interpreting hyphenation rules
- Tips for using correct spellings in writing
This chapter's short video lessons are about five minutes long and present instruction in a fun and engaging manner. Lessons are self-paced, and students can pause or go back whenever they wish. Each lesson offers a quick optional quiz, and there's a chapter exam available at the end to gauge learners' overall progress.
1. English Spelling Rules for Plural Nouns
Our world is filled with nouns. For such an important part of speech, it is vital to follow the right spelling rules for them. In this lesson, we discuss the rules for spelling plural nouns.
2. English Spelling Rules for Doubling & Dropping Letters
In this lesson, you'll learn the spelling rules associated with doubling letters. You'll also learn how to correctly drop letters when changing the form of a word. Then you can test your new skills with a short quiz.
3. English Spelling Rules for Prefixes
Adding a prefix to a word changes that word's meaning. In this lesson, you'll learn how to spell words correctly when adding prefixes, as well as some exceptions to the rule.
4. English Spelling Rules for Suffixes & Endings
Suffixes change much about words, including the spelling. This lesson outlines some of the guidelines for using suffixes, ensuring correct spelling of the word.
5. General English Spelling Rules
In this lesson, we detail just a few of the numerous general spelling rules in the English language, while also taking note of the exceptions to each guideline.
6. Determining When to Combine Words
This lesson highlights some of the common mistakes we make with combining words or deciding to separate them. You will get the lowdown on the rules to use to get them right and test your knowledge in a quiz.
7. Spelling: Words That Sound Alike (Homonyms & Homophones)
Watch this lesson to learn to differentiate between words that sound alike but may be spelled differently. We'll specifically look at homonyms, homographs, and homophones.
8. How to Use and Interpret Hyphenation Conventions
In this lesson, we will define hyphens, discuss the rules for using a hyphen correctly, and then explain why a hyphen is important for clarity in your writing.
9. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Smarter Balanced Assessments - ELA Grades 6-8: Test Prep & Practice course
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Parts of Speech
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Verbs & Adverbs
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Phrases & Clauses
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Types of Sentences
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Grammar Conventions
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Inference & Context in Comprehension
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Identifying the Meaning of Words
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Recognizing Literary Elements
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Organization of Written Works
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Literary Genres & Other Types of Text
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Analyzing Literary Fiction
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Analyzing Literary Drama
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Types of Poetry
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Interpreting Prose
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Persuasive Texts
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Reading Informational Texts
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Writing Effective Compositions
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Clear & Precise Writing
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Narrative Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Expository Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Research Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Strategies for Effective Speaking
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Being an Effective Listener
- Smarter Balanced Assessments - ELA Grades 6-8 Flashcards