About This Chapter
SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Types of Sentences - Chapter Summary
This set of lessons will come in handy when reviewing for the SBA ELA (Smarter Balanced Assessment English Language Arts/Literacy) that's aligned to the Common Core State Standards. Your students can explore the following sentence topics to make sure that they're ready for exam day:
- Identifying complete sentences
- Compound sentences
- Complex sentences
- Sentences that are compound-complex
- Identification of comma splices, run-on sentences and sentence fragments
Our self-paced text and video lessons are presented by experienced professionals in a user-friendly and engaging manner. Middle school students will have fun learning about the various types of sentences and can demonstrate through the quick, multiple-choice quizzes and chapter test when they're ready to tackle the SBA.
1. Complete Sentence: Examples & Definition
Although it seems simple, writing in complete sentences is a necessity that can trip up even seasoned writers. In this lesson, we will examine how to write in a complete sentence and why it is so important.
2. What is a Compound Sentence? - Examples & Definition
In this lesson, we'll cover compound sentences and how to create them by joining two or more independent clauses together. Compound sentences differ from other sentence types, and if you leave out their joining elements, you turn them into run-on sentences. After you review the lesson, you can test your knowledge of compound sentences with a quiz.
3. What is a Complex Sentence? - Examples & Concept
In this lesson, you will find out what a complex sentence is and how it's structured. You'll also learn about different sentence types and how dependent, or subordinate, clauses function in complex sentences.
4. Compound-Complex Sentence: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what a compound-complex sentence is, and how to use compound-complex sentences to make your writing more interesting. Take a look at some examples, and then test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Sentence Fragments, Comma Splices and Run-on Sentences
Sentence fragments, comma splices, and run-on sentences are grammatical and stylistic bugs that can seriously derail an otherwise polished academic paper. Learn how to identify and eliminate these errors in your own writing here.
6. What is a Sentence Fragment? - Definition & Examples
Find out what sentence fragments are and how to correct them. Learn the different ways sentence fragments can happen and how they relate to phrases as well as dependent and independent clauses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Smarter Balanced Assessments - ELA Grades 6-8: Test Prep & Practice course
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Parts of Speech
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Verbs & Adverbs
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Phrases & Clauses
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Grammar Conventions
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Spelling Rules
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Inference & Context in Comprehension
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Identifying the Meaning of Words
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Recognizing Literary Elements
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Organization of Written Works
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Literary Genres & Other Types of Text
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Analyzing Literary Fiction
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Analyzing Literary Drama
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Types of Poetry
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Interpreting Prose
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Persuasive Texts
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Reading Informational Texts
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Writing Effective Compositions
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Clear & Precise Writing
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Narrative Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Descriptive Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Expository Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Research Strategies
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Strategies for Effective Speaking
- SBA ELA - Grades 6-8: Being an Effective Listener
- Smarter Balanced Assessments - ELA Grades 6-8 Flashcards