About This Chapter
SBA Math - Grade 6: Basic Arithmetic Operations - Chapter Summary
Parents and teachers can assign these lessons to help their 6th grade students develop competence working with the basic mathematical operators. The videos are fun and will help your student prepare for the Smarter Balanced Assessments (SBA) 6th Grade Mathematics assessment by giving them a boost in the following topics:
- Different kinds of numbers
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- The order of operations
- Signed numbers in arithmetic operations
Whether you assign these lessons as homework or teach them in class, they will help to enhance your students' mathematics skills through engaging and educational videos. Our instructors are all experienced math teachers and they use age-appropriate, real-world examples to work through the concepts. Have your student complete the quizzes and test to determine where their strengths are and which areas may need to be reviewed some more.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
3. The Order of Real Numbers: Inequalities
An inequality is an operation describing how one number can be compared to another. This lesson will describe and define inequalities and the symbols used to represent them. It will also give some examples on how to work with inequalities.
4. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
5. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
6. How to Perform Multiplication: Steps & Examples
Multiplication, one of the basic operations of math, is important not just in elementary math but also in higher math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can multiply with ease.
7. How to Multiply Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson you will be able to multiply any two numbers together. You will learn how to use your knowledge of multiplying smaller numbers together to multiply larger numbers with ease.
8. How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide. Division is one of the basic operations of math. It is one of the fundamental operations that all higher mathematics depends upon.
9. Performing Long Division with Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to divide larger numbers. You'll learn an easy to follow procedure that you can use to divide any two numbers.
10. Arithmetic Calculations with Signed Numbers
Signed numbers are often referred to as integers. Integers include both positive and negative numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
11. What is the Product in Math? - Definition & Overview
In mathematics, the term 'product' refers to the answer to a multiplication problem. This lesson will define the term in more detail and give some examples of how it is used. Then, there will be a quiz to test your understanding.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 6: Test Prep & Practice course
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Logic & Mathematical Reasoning
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Number Theory
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Introduction to Fractions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Operations with Fractions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Percents
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Introduction to Decimals
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Operations with Decimals
- SBA Math - Grade 6: The Coordinate Graph
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Inequalities
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Factoring
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Rational Numbers
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Algebraic Distribution
- SBA Math - Grade 6: One-Step Equations
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Perimeter & Area
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Surface Area & Volume of Geometric Solids
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Data & Graphs
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Statistics
- Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 6 Flashcards