About This Chapter
SBA Math - Grade 6: Introduction to Fractions - Chapter Summary
The quick video lessons in this chapter can be viewed from any device, making study accessible for busy kids. Students will review the fractions concepts likely to appear on the SBA Mathematics tests for middle schoolers. Lesson subjects include:
- Types of fractions
- Methods for raising and reducing fractions
- Calculating the least common denominator
- How to order fractions
- Switching between improper fractions and mixed numbers
- Comparing decimals, fractions and whole numbers
Each video comes with a transcript that highlights key terms and concepts. Lessons also offer short quizzes to let students practice using the material they've covered. Reach out to our instructors if your 6th grader needs additional help.
1. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also, learn to identify the different types of fractions.
2. How to Raise and Reduce Fractions
When working with fractions, you sometimes need to change your fraction to make it easier to work with. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can raise and reduce fractions to make your problem solving easier.
3. Relating Fractions and Decimals
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use both fractions and decimals to help you solve problems. Learn how to change between the two to use the best one for your problem.
4. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
5. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
6. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
7. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
8. How to Change Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions
When it comes to fractions in algebra, we hardly ever use mixed numbers. Instead, we opt for the ease of use of improper fractions. Watch this video lesson to learn how to change your mixed numbers to improper fractions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 6: Test Prep & Practice course
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Logic & Mathematical Reasoning
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Number Theory
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Operations with Fractions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Percents
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Introduction to Decimals
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Operations with Decimals
- SBA Math - Grade 6: The Coordinate Graph
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Inequalities
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Factoring
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Rational Numbers
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Algebraic Distribution
- SBA Math - Grade 6: One-Step Equations
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Perimeter & Area
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Surface Area & Volume of Geometric Solids
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Data & Graphs
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Statistics
- Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 6 Flashcards