About This Chapter
SBA Math - Grade 6: Operations with Decimals - Chapter Summary
These quick video lessons provide 6th-graders a fun and easy way to prepare for the Mathematics SBA, covering the operations with decimals students can expect to encounter on the exam. Chapter topics include:
- Decimal conversions
- Decimal addition and subtraction
- How to multiply and divide decimals
- Estimating sums and products
- Solving inequalities with decimals
- How to simplify expressions containing decimals
Use the quiz after each lesson and the chapter exam to assess your student's comprehension of the subject material. If your 6th grader needs help with the ideas, he or she can reach out to our instructors for clarification.
1. Inequalities with Decimals
In this video lesson, we talk about solving inequalities with decimals. You will learn in what order to take your steps to solve these types of problems.
2. Converting Decimals to Mixed Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to convert easily between decimals and mixed numbers. Learn what kinds of decimals you can and cannot convert to a mixed number.
3. Changing Between Decimals and Fractions
In this video lesson, you will learn about the usefulness of knowing how to change quickly between decimals and fractions. You will also learn how changing from a decimal to a fraction is different than changing from a fraction to a decimal.
4. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
5. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do to get a correct answer when multiplying and dividing decimals. Learn the easy tricks to figuring out where the decimal point goes.
6. How to Estimate with Decimals to Solve Math Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can estimate problems with decimals in them so you can get a quick answer when you need it - for example, when you are at the gas station and you need to know how much gas you can afford.
7. Estimating Sums, Differences & Products of Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to estimate any decimal number to help you simplify your math problems. See how easy it is to estimate your answer when you are trying to find the sum, difference, or product.
8. Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers
Problems involving decimal numbers might sound like a way to torture you, but learning how important these types of problems are in the real world is important. In this lesson, you will see a couple areas in life where you routinely encounter decimal number problems.
9. Estimation: One & Two Operation Problems with Positive Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how using estimation can help you simplify your problem so that you can solve it much easier. Learn how estimation can help even when you need to solve for a missing variable.
10. Guess and Check: One & Two Operation Problems with Positive Decimals
In this video lesson, you will learn how to use your guessing skills in finding the correct answer to a decimal problem. Learn how you can refine your guess to make an even better guess and get closer to finding your answer.
11. Look for a Pattern: One & Two Operation Problems with Positive Decimals
In this video lesson, you will learn how finding a pattern can help you solve one- and two-operation problems involving decimal numbers. Learn what it takes to find a pattern and then to use the pattern to find the answer.
12. Solving Multi-Step Inequalities with Decimals
In this video lesson, you will learn the steps that are involved in solving inequalities for an unknown variable. We'll see that the order of operations stays the same, but there's a very significant difference when it comes to negative numbers!
13. How to Simplify Expressions Involving Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to take any expression involving decimals and simplify it. You'll learn what to look for and what things you can combine.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 6: Test Prep & Practice course
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Logic & Mathematical Reasoning
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Number Theory
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Introduction to Fractions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Operations with Fractions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Percents
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Introduction to Decimals
- SBA Math - Grade 6: The Coordinate Graph
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Inequalities
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Factoring
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Rational Numbers
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Algebraic Distribution
- SBA Math - Grade 6: One-Step Equations
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Perimeter & Area
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Surface Area & Volume of Geometric Solids
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Data & Graphs
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Statistics
- Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 6 Flashcards