About This Chapter
SBA Math - Grade 6: Rational Numbers - Chapter Summary
These accessible videos can be viewed from any device to make Mathematics SBA preparation convenient and easy. This chapter reviews the rational numbers concepts middle schoolers will likely encounter on the Math SBA. Lesson topics include:
- The definition and types of rational numbers
- Graphing rational numbers on a number line
- How to find the absolute value of a rational number
- How to add, subtract, multiply and divide rational numbers
- Rational number notation
Video transcripts highlight key ideas and provide an additional resource for students who prefer multiple format options for learning. Each lesson offers a short quiz to let you evaluate your student's comprehension of the information.
1. What are Rational Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about rational numbers and their characteristics. We'll discover what they are, what they aren't and how to distinguish them from other types of numbers.
2. Comparing & Ordering Rational Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to look at any rational number and compare it with any other rational number. Learn what you need to do so that you know which number is greater or lesser than another.
3. Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line
Number lines have many uses both in mathematics and everyday life. This lesson will teach you how to graph numbers on a number line and give real-world examples of how to use number lines.
4. Finding the Absolute Value of a Rational Number
Watch this video lesson and you will learn how to deal with absolute values of simple numbers and more complex problems. Learn the order in which you should do calculations so that your answers are correct.
5. Adding & Subtracting Rational Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to add and subtract rational numbers like a pro. Learn what is involved in adding and subtracting these types of numbers.
6. Multiplying & Dividing Rational Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to multiply and divide rational numbers. You will know when you need to flip your number and when you don't.
7. Notation for Rational Numbers, Fractions & Decimals
How do fractions become decimals? And how do decimals become fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about the notation of rational numbers, fractions and decimals and learn how they're related.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 6: Test Prep & Practice course
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Logic & Mathematical Reasoning
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Number Theory
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Introduction to Fractions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Operations with Fractions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Percents
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Introduction to Decimals
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Operations with Decimals
- SBA Math - Grade 6: The Coordinate Graph
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Inequalities
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Factoring
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Algebraic Distribution
- SBA Math - Grade 6: One-Step Equations
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Perimeter & Area
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Surface Area & Volume of Geometric Solids
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Data & Graphs
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Statistics
- Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 6 Flashcards