About This Chapter
SBA Math - Grade 6: Ratios, Rates & Proportions - Chapter Summary
The short, accessible video lessons in this chapter focus on ratios, rates and proportions to help your 6th grader prepare for the Mathematics SBA for middle schoolers. Chapter topics include:
- How to calculate constant and average rates
- How to use rates in problem solving
- Calculating ratios and proportions
- Solving equations of inverse and direct variations
- Proportional relationships and how to graph them
Each lesson offers a video transcript highlighting key terms and ideas and a short quiz to assess your student's understanding of the material. There are no external links on our study pages, ensuring that your student remains undistracted during study time.
1. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
2. Finding Constant and Average Rates
Watch this video lesson to learn the differences between constant and average rates. You will learn the steps you need to take to find them and get two great visuals you can keep in mind to help you solve these rate problems.
3. Solving Problems Using Rates
In this video lesson, learn how to set up rate problems so you can easily solve them. You will become familiar with the rate formula and you will see how easy it is to use.
4. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
5. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
6. Solving Equations of Direct Variation
In the real world, we come across a lot of problems that vary directly with each other. You will learn how to solve these types of direct variation problems in this video lesson.
7. Solving Equations of Inverse Variation
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to identify problems where you can use the formula for inverse variation to solve them. Learn what is involved and how easy they are to solve.
8. How to Find an Unknown in a Proportion
Artists, engineers, athletes, and accountants all use proportions in their daily lives, and setting them up is really quite easy, once you know the rules. In this lesson, you'll learn how to solve proportions when there is an unknown value and work on some practice problems.
9. Calculating Unit Rates Associated with Ratios of Fractions
This lesson demonstrates a few different ways to calculate unit rates. We use them to solve problem such as how many beats per minute, or how many miles per hour. To master this lesson, you must understand how ratios and fractions will help to find the unit rate based off of a higher ratio of values.
10. Proportional Relationships Between Two Quantities
When two values always maintain the same ratio, forming the same fraction when you divide them, they have a proportional relationship. In this lesson, you can learn about proportional relationships between two quantities.
11. Identifying the Constant of Proportionality
Constants of proportionality might sound like something complicated, but chances are, you've encountered them before. In this lesson, we'll explore the constant of proportionality and how to find it.
12. Representing Proportional Relationships by Equations
After you read this lesson, you'll see just how easy it is to find an equation that represents your proportional relationship. You'll learn the formula you can use to find your equation for any proportion you have.
13. Graphing Proportional Relationships
Two values are proportional if they maintain the same ratio and their graph will always be a straight line that goes through the origin (0,0). In this lesson we'll explore how to draw proportional graphs and use them to solve desperate situations!
14. Proportional Relationships in Multistep Ratio & Percent Problems
This lesson introduces the concepts of ratios, rates, and proportions. It will show you how to use rates and ratios to develop proportional relationships. Using proportions to solve problems is very common in mathematics, because oftentimes many rates and ratios are constant.
15. Constructing Proportions to Solve Real World Problems
In this lesson, we will concentrate on proportions. Through definition and example, we will learn how to construct proportions and how to use proportions to solve real world problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 6: Test Prep & Practice course
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Logic & Mathematical Reasoning
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Number Theory
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Introduction to Fractions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Operations with Fractions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Percents
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Introduction to Decimals
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Operations with Decimals
- SBA Math - Grade 6: The Coordinate Graph
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Inequalities
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Factoring
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Rational Numbers
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Algebraic Distribution
- SBA Math - Grade 6: One-Step Equations
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Perimeter & Area
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Surface Area & Volume of Geometric Solids
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Data & Graphs
- SBA Math - Grade 6: Statistics
- Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 6 Flashcards