About This Chapter
SBA Math - Grade 7: Surface Area & Volume of Geometric Solids - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons can help students dust off their skills in determining various properties of geometric solids as they prepare for the SBA Math - Grade 7 exam. Our videos and quizzes can help them with questions on the following topics:
- Naming the types and characteristics of polyhedrons
- Counting faces, edges and vertices of polyhedrons
- Describing 2-dimensional figures that result from slicing 3-dimensional figures
- Counting nets of 3-dimensional figures
- Listing types of platonic solids
- Using formulas to find surface area
- Determining area and volume of prisms, pyramids, cylinders, cones and spheres
Our instructors have designed enjoyable lessons filled with examples to illustrate their concepts. Students can watch these brief videos as their schedules allow, on a computer or mobile device.
1. What is a Polyhedron? - Characteristics & Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to identify a polyhedron when you see one. You will also be able to tell your friends what the distinguishing identifying factor of a polyhedron is.
2. Types of Polyhedrons
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to identify polyhedrons and you will become familiar with the common types of polyhedrons found in the world. You will also see real-world examples of polyhedrons in action.
3. Counting Faces, Edges & Vertices of Polyhedrons
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to count how many faces, edges, and vertices a polyhedron has. Also, you will learn how the number of faces, edges, and vertices are related.
4. Front, Side & Top View of 3-Dimensional Figures
This lesson goes over the front, side, and top views of numerous 3-dimensional figures. You'll learn that while some look exactly the same from most angles, others do not.
5. Nets of 3-Dimensional Figures
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to deconstruct a 3-dimensional figure into its 2-dimensional net. Learn what kind of shape you will get after opening and flattening your 3-dimensional figure.
6. Planes and the Polyhedron: Definition and Example
Did you ever wonder what the pyramids in Egypt have to do with math? Watch this video to find out where in math a pyramid comes into play. Also, learn how flat, 2-dimensional shapes also come into play.
7. What Are Platonic Solids? - Definition and Types
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn that there are only five platonic solids in the whole world. You will also learn what they look like and see real-life examples.
8. What is Surface Area? - Definition & Formulas
In this lesson, you use general and specific formulas to learn how to find the surface area of three-dimensional shapes, such as cubes, prisms, spheres, cones and cylinders.
9. Prisms: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson and you will see that there are different kinds of prisms. You will also learn how to separate a prism into its various parts so you can easily find the surface area. You will also learn the formula for the volume.
10. Pyramids: Definition, Area & Volume
Do you think of the great pyramids of Egypt when you hear the word pyramids? Watch this video lesson to learn why they are called pyramids and also how to find their surface area and volume.
11. What Are Cylinders? - Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn why soda cans are cylinders and the method by which you can discover how much soda can fit inside by finding the volume. You will also learn about finding a cylinder's surface area.
12. Cones: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn where in the real world you will see cones. Also, you will learn the formulas for finding the surface area and volume of these cones.
13. Spheres: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the surface area and volume of spheres. Learn the formulas and measurements you need to solve problems and discover how to identify spheres in the real world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 7: Test Prep & Practice course
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Logic & Mathematical Reasoning
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Number Theory
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Introduction to Fractions
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Operations with Fractions
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Percents
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Introduction to Decimals
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Operations with Decimals
- SBA Math - Grade 7: The Coordinate Graph
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Inequalities
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Factoring
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Rational Numbers
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Algebraic Distribution
- SBA Math - Grade 7: One-Step Equations
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Rational Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Measurement
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Lines & Angles
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Perimeter & Area
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Circles
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Data & Graphs
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Statistics
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Samples & Populations
- SBA Math - Grade 7: Probability
- Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 7 Flashcards