About This Chapter
SBA Math - Grade 8: Graphing Functions - Chapter Summary
To prepare for the 8th grade SBA Math assessment, use this chapter's fun video lessons to strengthen your math skills in graphing functions and identifying the intercepts and slopes of lines. After studying the videos, you should be able to do the following:
- Plot points to graph functions
- Identify particular traits of functions
- Find the slope and intercepts of a line
- Use the point-slope formula to find the equation of a line
- Apply the distance and midpoint formulas to problems
- Explain what a parabola is
- Recognize parabolas in standard, intercept and vertex forms
- Graph polynomials
With straightforward explanations, sample problems and graphics, our videos help boost your understanding of functions and their graphs. Instructors take you through every stage of the examples so that you can retain techniques and key concepts as test day approaches. Our lessons also include transcripts and self-assessment quizzes to enhance your study sessions.
SBA Math - Grade 8: Graphing Functions Chapter Objectives
The SBA Math assessment, which measures 8th graders' abilities in several mathematical areas, can contain a variety of question formats; these include extended response and selected-response questions as well as production tasks. When you take the multiple-choice quizzes accompanying our lessons, you'll be able to check your grasp of the chapter material and gain practice in answering selected-response questions like those on the examination.
The topic of functions is covered in the assessment's concepts and procedures category, which has a total of 17 to 20 questions. Other problems on the exam assess your skills in modeling, problem solving and reasoning.
1. Graph Functions by Plotting Points
Let's say you have a function. What does it look like? How do you graph it? In this lesson, we'll learn how to graph functions by determining and plotting points.
2. Identify Where a Function is Linear, Increasing or Decreasing, Positive or Negative
Functions do all kinds of fun things. In this lesson, learn how to identify traits of functions such as linear or nonlinear, increasing or decreasing and positive or negative.
3. How to Find and Apply The Slope of a Line
In this lesson, we'll discover all about the slopes of lines. We'll learn about different types of slopes and how to find the slopes of lines. We'll use two methods: the slope formula and the slope-intercept form.
4. How to Find and Apply the Intercepts of a Line
How can you take an equation of a line and find out where it will cross the x- or y-axis? In this lesson, we'll define x-intercepts and y-intercepts and learn how to find them.
5. Equation of a Line Using Point-Slope Formula
It's time for a road trip to Las Vegas, and after four hours of driving at 60 mph ... Are we there yet? Learn the point-slope form of the equation of a line to help answer this age-old question.
6. How to Use The Distance Formula
You can't always rely on your smartphone to tell you how far you need to travel to get from point A to point B. The distance formula will tell you the distance between any two points on a graph. In this lesson, you'll learn where it comes from and how to use it!
7. How to Use The Midpoint Formula
The formula for the midpoint of a line segment will tell you how to find the middle of any line segment on the x, y plane. Learn about this formula and see how it is used to find the midpoint of a line segment.
8. What is a Parabola?
A parabola is the U shape that we get when we graph a quadratic equation. We actually see parabolas all over the place in real life. In this lesson, learn where, and the correct vocab to use when talking about them.
9. Parabolas in Standard, Intercept, and Vertex Form
By rearranging a quadratic equation, you can end up with an infinite number of ways to express the same thing. Learn about the three main forms of a quadratic and the pros and cons of each.
10. How to Graph Cubics, Quartics, Quintics and Beyond
Finding the graph of a polynomial isn't too hard. If you can graph, you already know the major steps! With a couple rules and helpful memorizing tools, you will be graphing polynomials in no time!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Logic & Mathematical Reasoning
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Number Theory
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Introduction to Fractions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Operations with Fractions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Percents
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Introduction to Decimals
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Operations with Decimals
- SBA Math - Grade 8: The Coordinate Graph
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Inequalities
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Factoring
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Rational Numbers
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Roots & Radical Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Algebraic Distribution
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Rational Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Linear Equations
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Systems of Linear Equations
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Properties of Functions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Lines & Angles
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Perimeter & Area
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Surface Area & Volume of Geometric Solids
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Triangles
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Similar Polygons
- SBA Math - Grade 8: The Pythagorean Theorem
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Transformations
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Data & Graphs
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Statistics
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Probability
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Rate of Change
- Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 8 Flashcards