About This Chapter
SBA Math - Grade 8: Inequalities - Chapter Summary
Before they take the 8th grade SBA in mathematics, your students can use our video lessons to review solving and graphing inequalities. These are important skills they'll need to feel confident answering certain kinds of questions on the examination. Once your 8th graders study this chapter, they will be able to do the following:
- Graph 1- and 2-variable inequalities
- Use set notation to describe compound inequalities
- Graph inequalities and systems of inequalities
- Solve and graph absolute value inequalities
- Translate math sentences to inequalities
- Solve one- and two-step inequalities
Our professional instructors simplify concepts and guide students through every stage of solving or graphing inequality problems. The videos contain several examples and graphics to help 8th graders grasp the material thoroughly, which will allow them to apply their knowledge of inequalities to more complex problems on the SBA.
1. What is an Inequality?
Inequalities are equations that use greater- or less-than symbols and can be very helpful in situations that can have multiple solutions. Discover what an inequality is, understand what a two-variable inequality is, and learn how to graph two-variable inequalities.
2. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
Algebraic inequalities may be written as one-variable inequalities or two-variable inequalities and the number of variables affects the graphs of the inequalities. Investigate the differences between one-variable and two-variable inequalities and learn how to graph them on number lines and coordinate systems.
3. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
Compound inequalities are used to represent relationships of different algebraic expressions using inequality symbols. Learn about constructing and graphing compound inequalities, how to solve systems of inequalities, and how to represent these solutions in set notation and interval notation.
4. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
Algebraic inequalities are used to represent the relationship of two algebraic expressions by using inequality symbols. Investigate algebraic inequalities and learn how to graph them on the coordinate system using a series of practice problems in this lesson.
5. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Inequalities and absolute value inequalities are graphed on number lines and coordinate systems, depending on the number of variables. Investigate inequalities and absolute value inequalities and learn how to solve and graph an absolute value inequality.
6. Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems
Absolute value inequalities can be classified into two types: an AND compound inequality or an OR compound inequality. Investigate the different types of absolute value inequalities, how to graph these inequalities, as well as solving systems of absolute value inequalities.
7. Translating Math Sentences to Inequalities
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can easily translate math sentences into inequalities. Once you know how to do this, solving word problems becomes that much easier.
8. How to Find the Distance Between Two Points
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to find the distance between any two points on the coordinate plane. Learn what information you and how to plug them in to your formula.
9. Solving Two-Step Linear Inequalities
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve any kind of linear inequality problem where you only have to perform two steps. You will know in what order to perform each step and you will know just what kind of operation you need to do.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Logic & Mathematical Reasoning
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Number Theory
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Introduction to Fractions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Operations with Fractions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Percents
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Introduction to Decimals
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Operations with Decimals
- SBA Math - Grade 8: The Coordinate Graph
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Factoring
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Rational Numbers
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Roots & Radical Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Writing Algebraic Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Algebraic Distribution
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Rational Expressions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Linear Equations
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Systems of Linear Equations
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Properties of Functions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Graphing Functions
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Lines & Angles
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Perimeter & Area
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Surface Area & Volume of Geometric Solids
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Triangles
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Similar Polygons
- SBA Math - Grade 8: The Pythagorean Theorem
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Transformations
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Data & Graphs
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Statistics
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Probability
- SBA Math - Grade 8: Rate of Change
- Smarter Balanced Assessments - Math Grade 8 Flashcards