About This Chapter
Schedule Strategy - Chapter Summary
Our professional instructors have assembled this chapter to provide you with a way to either learn or improve your understanding of strategies and components of project scheduling. Use this resource to build upon your understanding of related topics and ensure you can:
- Utilize strategy formulation
- Use configuration management policies to ensure control over changes to a product
- Be aware of control items like change control, version control and configuration control
- Plan projects from beginning to end
- Know about tools and techniques used to schedule projects
- Be knowledgeable about important scheduling polices and scheduling-related components
- Identify environmental factors related to change control
- Use a project charter
With each lesson of the chapter you will be provided with a short assessment you may use to test your understanding of the material or print out for a study-guide worksheet. If you use the assessment as a self-assessment quiz, you may discover topics you don't quite understand. You can then return to the lessons to review those topics and ensure you know the strategies and components of project scheduling.
1. Steps & Approaches to Project Schedule Control
In this lesson, you'll learn how to create a new schedule, when to review and update the schedule, and explain the process for making changes to the schedule.
2. Project Schedule Configuration Management Policies
In this lesson we will learn about software configuration management, as a technical support function to ensure that changes made to the application software are controlled through baseline configurations, performance measures and change control.
3. Configuration Management: Control Items & Procedures
Have you ever had to return a part that you purchased because it didn't fit as expected? In this lesson we'll learn about the components of configuration management - change control, version control, and configuration control - and how they impact product changes.
4. Project Planning: Steps, Process & Return
More and more, the ability to plan and execute a project is a way to get ahead in work. In this lesson, we'll go over the basics of project planning, from the drawing board to completion.
5. Project Management Scheduling: Tools & Techniques
Scheduling a project is a true skill requiring the project manager to use several tools and techniques. In this lesson, we'll learn how to effectively use tools and techniques to develop a project schedule that's accurate and easy to read.
6. Scheduling Policies & Procedures for Project Management
Effective project management requires that you practice good time management skills. The project schedule ensures the effective and efficient completion of the project. Let's take a look the elements of establishing scheduling policies and procedures, and why they are beneficial to the project management process.
7. Scheduling Components for Project Management Plans
This lesson will consider the components that should be included in a comprehensive project schedule and explain how that schedule needs to support the overall project plan.
8. Factors Affecting Change Control
The lesson will define the phrase change control and discuss how environmental factors, organizational factors, and business asset factors each affect change control.
9. Project Charter: Purpose & Assumptions
In this lesson you'll learn what the purpose of a project charter is and some of the elements that should be included in the project charter, and discover the importance of documenting all of the project assumptions when drafting the project charter.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PMI-SP® Exam Study Guide - PMI Scheduling Professional course