About This Chapter
Scheduling in Operations Management Overview - Chapter Summary
Get a thorough overview of scheduling in operations management by opening up this chapter. Our instructors have organized these lessons to remind you about key details concerning smooth business operations, single process sequencing, Henry Gantt, efficiency increases, and traditional scheduling. By taking the time to complete each lesson in this chapter, you will be prepared to:
- Describe the assignments and objectives of scheduling
- Identify the sequencing rules of schedule sequencing
- Define how to read management bar graphs and charts
- Compare the output and input controls of operations scheduling
- Explain the constraints and uses of advanced planning and scheduling
- Point out the business applications for the theory of constraints
- Show the issues and methods considered for employee scheduling
Each video lesson focuses on a single concept, covering all the related terms, definitions, graphics, and more. Most of our videos can be completed in about 5-10 minutes. You can watch them in any order and use the video tags on the Timeline to return to key topics. Quizzes at the end of each lesson let you assess your understanding.
1. Scheduling: Objectives & Assignments
View this lesson to see how a business manager schedules his employees so that the business operates smoothly. Learn why assignments may be necessary to make sure that someone is there to help customers.
2. Gantt Charts & Bar Graphs: Henry Gantt's Contributions to Management
This lesson will describe how Henry Gantt revolutionized management practices by providing a graphical representation, also known as the Gantt chart, of work processes that showed scheduling and monitoring projections. Other contributions of Henry Gantt, such as the task and bonus system, will also be discussed.
3. Operations Scheduling: Input & Output Control
Certain steps must be followed when it comes to operations scheduling. In this lesson, learn about how operations scheduling helps companies increase their efficiency.
4. The Theory of Constraints: Business Applications
This lesson will introduce the Theory of Constraints (TOC). It will discuss the application of the TOC to operations in a business through the use of the five steps of the focusing process of improvement.
5. Employee Scheduling: Methods & Issues
Watch this video lesson to learn how successful businesses manage their employees through good scheduling that takes care of the needs of both the business and the employees.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSC Business Studies: Exam Prep & Syllabus course
- Nature of Business
- Types of Business
- Business Industries in Australia
- Influences on Businesses in Australia
- Stakeholders in Business
- Business Cycle
- Global Markets in Business
- Management Skills
- Management Approaches
- Management Processes
- Business Planning & Strategy
- Business Forecasting
- Business Strategies & Values
- Operations Management & Inventory Management
- Supply Chain Management in Business
- Marketing Roles & Objectives
- Types of Markets
- Influences of Marketing in Australia
- Marketing Information & Research
- Marketing Strategy in Business
- Pricing Strategy in Business
- Promotion in Marketing
- Place & Distribution in Business
- International Marketing Basics
- Business Financing in Australia
- Financial Planning & Implementation
- Financial Monitoring & Control
- Financial Ratios
- Financial Management Overview
- Global Financial Management
- HRM: Human Resources Management
- Employee Acquisition & Development
- Human Resource Metrics & Measurement
- Employee Separation
- Legal Considerations in Australian HR
- HSC Business Studies Flashcards