About This Chapter
School & Community Social Stories - Chapter Summary
In this helpful chapter, our instructors present school and community social stories on a variety of topics designed especially for special education students. These lessons cover school-related subjects such as behavior on the bus and the cafeteria, as well as actions at school like listening and paying attention. Our convenient and mobile-friendly lessons are accessible at any time for easy, flexible lesson planning.
How It Helps
- Designed for special education: Our learning tools are designed specially for the needs and unique challenges faced by special education students.
- Helps students adjust: These lessons have been created to cover some of the areas where students may have some concerns, such as getting a haircut, going to a new school and test anxiety.
- Created by professionals: Each one of our lessons has been created by a professional instructor who knows how to teach special education students effectively and successfully with social stories.
Our informative chapter provides you with social stories on a wide range of school and community topics, including:
- School holidays, recess, field trips and the cafeteria
- Bus behavior, asking questions and paying attention
- Completing work, staying on task and listening
- Running out of the classroom, going to a new school and raising your hand
- School assemblies, circle time and going to high school
- Bullying, group work, perfectionism and test anxiety
- Going to the doctor or dentist, restaurant or library
- Getting a haircut and going to the store
1. Social Stories for Lunch Time at School
Lunch time can be an exciting time for students with special needs, but it can also be stressful. The social stories in this lesson will give your students language and strategies for navigating this particular time of the school day.
2. Social Stories for Accepting Help
Learning to accept help is hard for many people, and it can be especially difficult for some children. This lesson offers social stories that teach students how and why to accept help.
3. Social Stories for Playground Behavior
Are you considering using social stories to teach appropriate playground behaviors? The following lesson will teach you how to write specific social stories. Example social stories templates are included!
4. Social Stories on Test Anxiety
Social stories can be important ways to help students with autism cope with new and unfamiliar situations. The social stories in this lesson focus specifically on tests and test-taking anxiety.
5. Social Stories on Perfectionism
If you are trying to teach your students to worry less about perfectionism, social stories can be a big help. This lesson offers social stories you can modify to meet the specific needs of your students.
6. Social Stories for Classroom Behavior
Are you considering using social stories to manage behaviors in the classroom? This lesson will teach you how to write social stories for increasing desired behaviors, as well as decreasing problem behaviors.
7. Social Stories for Calling Out in Class
Calling out in class can be a frustrating behavior for teachers to deal with. This lesson offers social stories focused on preventing your students from calling out.
8. Social Stories for Picture Day
Some students become nervous and act out when they're put into situations for which they're unprepared. This lesson will provide example social stories that may be helpful in teaching your students what to expect and how they should behave for Picture Day at school.
9. Social Stories for Lining Up
Social stories can be an effective way to help students prepare for new or challenging situations. This lesson will include example social stories about lining up.
10. Social Stories on Walking in the Hallway
Helping your students walk through the hallway in a safe and orderly manner does not have to be an onerous task. This lesson offers social stories that will teach your students how to walk properly through the halls.
11. Social Stories for Group Work
Looking for social stories about working in groups? This lesson offers sample social stories that target different challenging behaviors and their motivations during group work.
12. Social Stories for School Assemblies
Almost every school has assemblies, so students need to be prepared for them. In this lesson, you will find examples of social stories to use to help prepare your students for school assemblies.
13. Social Stories For Raising Your Hand
It is important for all children to learn to participate actively and appropriately in class. This lesson will help you teach your students about hand raising by using social stories.
14. Circle Time Social Stories
Circle time can be a fun opportunity for students to come together, but it can also be confusing for some learners. These social stories will help your students remember what is expected of them during circle time.
15. Social Stories on Bus Behavior
Are you looking for fun and engaging social stories on appropriate bus behavior? This lesson will provide you with examples and instructions for creating your own individualized social stories on bus behavior.
16. Social Stories for School Holidays
Social stories are an excellent tool for helping students learn about events that fall outside of their usual routines. In this lesson, you will find social stories about school holidays.
17. Social Stories on Asking Questions
Social stories are helpful tools for teaching students about everyday social conventions. In this lesson, you'll find examples of social stories on the topic of asking questions.
18. Social Stories About Listening
Listening is a skill that can challenge students with autism or ADHD. This lesson offers examples of how social stories can be used to help students become better listeners when communicating with parents, teacher and classmates.
19. Recess Social Stories
Teachers often use social stories to teach students how to handle the various situations that arise during the school day. Recess is a good topic for social stories. In this lesson, you'll find some examples of social stories that teach about recess.
20. Field Trip Social Stories
Teachers often use social stories to prepare students for social situations. In this lesson, you will find samples of social stories about field trips that you can use in your classroom or modify to suit your students.
21. Social Stories on Paying Attention
Teachers often use social stories to correct or reinforce student behavior. In this lesson, you will find sample social stories dealing with the issue of paying attention.
22. Cafeteria Social Stories
The cafeteria can be a stressful and stimulating place for many students. This lesson offers social stories for helping students on the autistic spectrum to cope with some challenges of the cafeteria.
23. Asking for Help Social Stories
Learning to ask for help is one of the best ways students with special needs can become able to advocate for themselves. This lesson offers social stories for teaching students about asking for help.
24. Social Stories on Going to a New School
Going to a new school can be scary and overwhelming to many students. The social stories in this lesson will help them think about what to expect, how they might feel, and what they can do to prepare.
25. Social Stories on Running Out of the Classroom
In this lesson, we'll be reviewing the purpose of social stories and then looking at examples of social stories on running out of the classroom. By the end of the lesson, you should have an understanding of how to construct your own social stories.
26. Staying on Task Social Stories
Social stories can be tremendously helpful to students in new, difficult, or stressful situations. This lesson offers some social stories that will help your students learn about the importance of staying on task at school and home.
27. Social Stories for Using the School Bathroom
This lesson tackles the sometimes awkward situation of teaching students how to use the school bathroom through social stories. Examples are included that can help you teach your students how to master this skill independently.
28. Social Stories for Completing Work
Social stories can be used to teach students about desired behaviors, such as following rules, communicating appropriately and turning in completed work. In this lesson you will find social stories about completing work.
29. Going to High School Social Stories
In this lesson, we'll be looking at examples of social stories that you can use to explain to students what going to high school will be like. We'll look at common problems such as a lack of routine, more schoolwork and making friends.
30. Social Stories About Getting Lost
Getting lost is one of the scariest things that can happen to children, and some children will experience it especially fearfully. The social stories in this lesson will help teach students what to do if they ever get lost.
31. Community Safety Social Stories
This lesson offers examples of social stories about different types of community safety for students with autism. It also includes pictures that can help illustrate key points.
32. Social Stories on Going to the Doctor or Dentist
Going to the doctor or dentist can be very stressful experiences for many children, but a good social story can make all the difference. This lesson offers social stories that will help make these appointments interesting and fun.
33. Going to a Restaurant Social Stories
Social stories can help prepare students with social and cognitive disabilities for community outings. In this lesson, you will read sample social stories about going to a restaurant.
34. Getting a Haircut Social Stories
Social stories can be a tremendous help for students on the autistic spectrum who need to navigate difficult situations. This lesson offers social stories pertaining specifically to getting a haircut.
35. Social Stories for the Airport
Social stories are a fun and effective tool for helping children prepare for unfamiliar situations and events. This lesson will provide two examples of social stories about going to the airport.
36. Going to the Store Social Stories
Community outings can be difficult for students with special needs. Social stories are a resource that can help prepare students for these outings. In this lesson, you'll find examples of social stories about going to the store.
37. Going to the Library Social Stories
A social story is a helpful tool for teachers when students need explicit teaching about situations they will encounter in the school and community. In this lesson, you'll find examples of social stories about going to the library.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.