About This Chapter
School Counseling & Student Outcomes - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will review various tools used by school counselors to affect student outcomes. You will discover some of the pressing issues school counselors are facing as well as what services they are supposed to offer students. Also discussed is the function of student portfolios and their evaluation. You'll learn about the different assessments school counselors use and the purposes for which they use them. At the completion of this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Summarize the responsibilities of the Guidance Advisory Committee
- Identify the achievement gap and who it affects
- Analyze and evaluate student portfolios
- Understand the use of psychological assessments
- Know how assessments are used to offer career guidance to students
The succinct format of our lessons and assessments allows you to study these concepts in an efficient manner. The assessments consists of online quizzes and worksheets that can be printed. If your assessments scores are not satisfactory, you can review the previously completed lessons as needed and you can use the ask-an-expert tool to receive additional help.
1. Guidance Advisory Committee (GAC): Definition & Responsibilities
In this lesson, we will define the role and responsibility of a Guidance Advisory Committee, including reviewing program data and making recommendations based upon evaluations.
2. What is the Achievement Gap in Education?
Students in all groups do not perform the same academically. In this lesson, you will learn about the achievement gap, what it means, and who it affects. After the lesson, take a brief quiz to see what you learned.
3. Student Portfolio Assessment: Strengths & Limitations
Educators strive to use various types of authentic assessments with their students. One type of assessment is the portfolio, and this lesson describes what a portfolio is, what goes in it, and how to manage and evaluate them in a classroom.
4. How to Evaluate Student Writing Portfolios
Teachers can assess a student's writing in many ways. One is through a writing portfolio. This lesson will identify and discuss guidelines for evaluating a student writing portfolio and provide some examples of each.
5. Types of Assessments Used in Psychology
Psychological assessments are tests that are meant to analyze a person's abilities or personality. In this lesson, we'll examine some common types of psychological tests, including projective tests, inventories, and aptitude tests.
6. How Can a Value-Based Career Assessment Help You Choose A Career?
Everyone has different preferences when it comes to their work life. In this lesson, we'll explore work values, including what they are, some common work values, work values assessments, and how they can influence your career choices.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Professional School Counselor (5421): Practice & Study Guide course
- The History & Role of School Counselors
- Understanding Human Growth & Development
- Theories of Identity Formation & Social Development
- Ethics & School Counseling
- Professional Development for School Counselors
- School and System Governance
- Legal Issues in School Counseling
- Guidance & Counseling Strategies for Schools
- Group Counseling
- Teaching Students About Career Development
- Instructional & Behavioral Management Strategies in Class
- Crisis Intervention for School Counselors
- Student Diversity & Issues in School Counseling
- Consultation in School Counseling
- Interventions & Accommodations in School Counseling
- Management in School Counseling
- Accountability in School Counseling
- Assessment Issues in School Counseling
- Praxis Professional School Counselor Flashcards