About This Chapter
School Influences on Delinquency - Chapter Summary
This self-paced study resource examines the influences that school environments can have on juvenile delinquency. Taught by subject matter experts, this chapter goes over current trends in education, as well as issues related to cyberbullying, truancy, school violence and more. Be sure to take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes that follow each lesson, and you can submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help with the material. The online format of the chapter allows you to study whenever and wherever it's convenient. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Assess the societal functions of school
- Analyze current education trends and issues
- Evaluate the relationship between delinquency and academic performance
- Know how school failure, truancy and dropout can be prevented
- Interpret bullying and school shooting statistics
- Understand the signs of cyberbullying
- Outline the causes and effects of school violence
- Recognize effective school violence prevention strategies
- Identify the legal rights of juveniles in school settings
1. Functions of School: Socialization, Cultural Transmission, Integration & Latent Functions
Schools serve a number of functions in our society beyond just transmitting academic knowledge and skills. In this lesson, we differentiate between manifest and latent functions of schools and discuss examples of each.
2. Current Issues and Trends in Education
Education can be a hot-button topic for many people. New trends are emerging that are both controversial and encouraging. This lesson outlines issues and top trends.
3. The Relationship Between Academic Performance & Delinquency
Academic performance and juvenile delinquency have a long-standing, empirically supported correlation. Overall, poor academic performance is related to juvenile delinquency based on a number of individual, social, and institutional factors.
4. Preventing School Failure, Truancy & Dropout
School failure, truancy, and dropouts are a problem for many adolescent students. This lesson will discuss the negative effects of these issues and explore strategies for preventing them.
5. Bullying & School Shootings: Statistics & Facts
Acts of bullying can potentially lead to devastating and, at times, fatal consequences. This lesson will examine how bullying relates to school shootings by providing relevant statistics, facts, and information.
6. Cyberbullying: Signs, Effects & Solutions
Cyberbullying can have a seriously negative effect on children. Find out what cyberbullying is and signs to look out for that indicate your child is being cyberbullied, as well as some solutions you can employ.
7. School Violence: Definition, History, Causes & Effects
In this lesson, we will learn the definition and history of school violence. We will also discuss the causes and effects of school violence. There will be a quiz at the end of the lesson.
8. School Violence Prevention: Programs & Strategies
School violence has a major impact on students' learning. But what is school violence and what can schools do to provide a safe learning environment? In this lesson, you will learn about various types of school violence and strategies and programs schools have put in place to prevent it.
9. Legal Rights of Juveniles in the School
Miranda rights help protect citizens from self-incrimination, but what happens when that questioning is directed toward a student at school? Do juveniles have Miranda rights? What if the questioning is done by school officials instead of police?
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Juvenile Delinquency: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Nature & Extent of Delinquency
- Individual Theories of Delinquency
- Sociological Theories of Delinquency
- Developmental Theories of Delinquency
- Gender & Family Influences on Delinquency
- Child Abuse, Neglect & Delinquency
- Peer & Media Influences on Delinquency
- Drug Use Among Juveniles
- Juvenile Policing
- Juvenile Justice System Overview
- Juvenile Corrections Overview
- UExcel Juvenile Delinquency Flashcards