About This Chapter
School Violence Prevention Strategies - Chapter Summary
From developing violence prevention curriculum to promoting safe schools, this chapter can help educators and other school personnel prevent school violence. You can review elements of effective prevention programs and strategies and learn how to get students involved in campus safety initiatives. This chapter addresses the following topics:
- Crisis management planning and response techniques
- Types of school violence
- What makes prevention programs effective
- Violence prevention strategies
- How to develop and implement violence prevention curriculum
- Ways to prevent hate crimes in schools
- School safety promotion programs
- Ways students can help in anti-violence programs and create safe environments
These teaching resources are presented by experienced educators, who present this material in an easy-to-follow and straightforward manner. You can access the chapter 24/7 from any device, allowing you access at home, at school or on-the-go. Self-assessment quizzes determine how much you have retained from this chapter and your readiness in implementing the techniques and strategies discussed in the lessons.
How It Helps
- Increases teacher awareness: Helps you better understand types of violence and hate crimes so you can develop effective prevention programs.
- Encourages student participation: Outlines ways in which students can become involved in school violence and safety programs.
- Ensures a safe learning environment: Presents ways in which you can promote and implement safety programs in your school.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Detail the characteristics of safe, secure and orderly schools
- Plan for and respond to crises
- Understand types of school violence
- List elements of an effective violence prevention program
- Apply prevention strategies and methods
- Recognize and prevent hate crimes in school
- Explain staff responsibility in promoting safe schools
- Enlist the aid of students in creating school violence prevention programs
1. Secure, Safe & Orderly Schools: Definition & Characteristics
In this lesson, we will define secure, safe, and orderly schools, provide characteristics and examples of each and discuss ways to evaluate a school for safety, security, and orderliness.
2. School Crisis Prevention
Crises in schools seem to be happening day after day. How can we keep our schools safe? Prevention may be the answer. This lesson will discuss school crisis prevention.
3. School Violence Prevention: Programs & Strategies
School violence has a major impact on students' learning. But what is school violence and what can schools do to provide a safe learning environment? In this lesson, you will learn about various types of school violence and strategies and programs schools have put in place to prevent it.
4. Elements of Effective Violence Prevention Programs
In this lesson, you will learn about effective violence prevention in schools and ways in which parents can and should be involved in violence prevention efforts.
5. Strategies for Preventing Violence in Schools
School violence is a serious issue that affects many schools nationwide. However, with the successful implementation of strategies at various levels, this violence can be prevented in most cases, leading to a safer and more productive school environment.
6. Violence Prevention Curriculum for Adolescents
In this lesson, we will discuss some elements of an effective violence prevention curriculum for adolescent students. We'll explain what students should learn and ways to implement violence prevention curriculum in a school setting.
7. Preventing Hate Crimes & Creating a Safe School Environment
What causes a student to commit a hate crime? Victims are often targeted due to multicultural bias and prejudices that reflect what has been widely debated by society. Outside forces will surely influence our students, but there are steps schools and teachers can take to prevent hate crimes.
8. Promoting Safe Schools
Studies show that the most effective interventions in reducing violence in schools require changing the environment of the entire school. This lesson provides an overview of staff members' responsibilities in promoting safe schools.
9. How Students Can Help Create Safe Schools
Sending students to school can be anxiety provoking for parents who see school violence media reports on a regular basis. This lesson will focus on student involvement in creating safe schools and provide some ideas on how this can be accomplished.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the School Violence Prevention course
- Social & Emotional Development During Childhood
- Behavioral & Mental Health in Childhood & Adolescence
- Challenges in Childhood & Adolescence
- Child & Teen Abuse
- Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse & Neglect
- Violence in Homes, Schools & Society
- Teen Dating Violence
- Understanding & Managing Student Aggression
- Preventing Bullying in Schools
- Intervening & Responding to Crises at School