About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Science Basics chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Science vocabulary||Science study tips and suggestions for using word roots, prefixes and suffixes to break down complicated science terms|
|Tuesday||The scientific method||Steps in the scientific method and the existence of feedback loops; the role of creativity and community in scientific investigation|
|Wednesday||Scientific experiment design||The significance of creating experiment designs that produce measurable and repeatable results; the characteristics of scientific theory and law; the use of controls in experiment design|
|Thursday||The metric system||Units used to report measurements of mass, length, temperature, density and volume; dimensional analysis and the processes involved in unit conversion|
|Friday||Scientific graphs and charts||Methods for interpreting scientific data reported in tables, line graphs, bar charts, flow charts and pie charts|
1. Science Vocabulary & Concepts: Study Skills & Word Parts
Learning science presents a unique set of challenges for students. In this lesson, learn the tricks of the trade as we discuss scientific vocabulary and other science study skills.
2. The Scientific Method: Steps, Terms & Examples
The scientific method is more than just hypotheses and experiments. In this lesson, we'll explore the themes and variations that make up the world of science.
3. Experimental Design in Science: Definition & Method
What are the requirements of a scientific experiment? How do scientists turn hypotheses into theories and laws? Learn the answers to these questions and more in this lesson on the design of scientific experiments.
4. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
5. Unit Conversion and Dimensional Analysis
How is solving a chemistry problem like playing dominoes? Watch this lesson to find out how you can use your domino skills to solve almost any chemistry problem.
6. How to Read Scientific Graphs & Charts
How do scientists summarize their findings with visual aids? In this lesson, explore the different types of tables, charts and graphs that scientists use. Learn to read these effectively as a preview to your science studies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Biology 101 Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Review of Inorganic Chemistry For Biologists Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Nucleic Acids - DNA and RNA: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Enzymatic Biochemistry: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Cell Biology: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- DNA Replication: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- The Transcription and Translation Process: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Genetic Mutations: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Metabolic Biochemistry: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Cell Division: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Plant Biology: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Plant Reproduction and Growth: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Physiology I: Human Body Systems Lesson Plans
- Physiology II: Human Body Systems Lesson Plans
- Animal Reproduction and Development: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Genetics - Principles of Heredity: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Principles of Ecology: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Principles of Evolution: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- The Origin and History of Life On Earth: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Phylogeny and the Classification of Organisms: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Social Biology: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Basic Molecular Biology Lab Techniques: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Analyzing Scientific Data: Biology 101 Lesson Plans