About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Science Basics chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Science vocabulary and concepts||Important words, ideas and tips for studying and learning them|
|Tuesday||The scientific method||Overview of how scientists work in the lab and the field, with a list of useful vocabulary and examples|
|Wednesday||Experimental design||Methods used by scientists to create useful experiments|
|Thursday|| The metric system|
Unit conversion and dimensional analysis
|Units of measurement in the metric system and ways of converting between them |
How to solve chemistry problems through dimensional analysis and the factor-label method
|Friday||Reading scientific charts and graphs||Understanding visual representations of scientific findings, including graphs, charts, pie charts and bar graphs|
1. Science Vocabulary & Concepts: Study Skills & Word Parts
Learning science presents a unique set of challenges for students. In this lesson, learn the tricks of the trade as we discuss scientific vocabulary and other science study skills.
2. The Scientific Method: Steps, Terms & Examples
The scientific method is more than just hypotheses and experiments. In this lesson, we'll explore the themes and variations that make up the world of science.
3. Experimental Design in Science: Definition & Method
What are the requirements of a scientific experiment? How do scientists turn hypotheses into theories and laws? Learn the answers to these questions and more in this lesson on the design of scientific experiments.
4. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
5. Unit Conversion and Dimensional Analysis
How is solving a chemistry problem like playing dominoes? Watch this lesson to find out how you can use your domino skills to solve almost any chemistry problem.
6. How to Read Scientific Graphs & Charts
How do scientists summarize their findings with visual aids? In this lesson, explore the different types of tables, charts and graphs that scientists use. Learn to read these effectively as a preview to your science studies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Biology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- History of Life on Earth Lesson Plans
- Evolution Theory Lesson Plans
- Inorganic Chemistry Review Lesson Plans
- Organic Chemistry Review Lesson Plans
- Enzymatic Biochemistry Lesson Plans
- Cell Biology Lesson Plans
- Biological Systems Requirements Lesson Plans
- Cell Division Lesson Plans
- Metabolic Biochemistry Lesson Plans
- DNA & RNA Overview Lesson Plans
- The DNA Process Replication Lesson Plans
- The Transcription & Translation Process Lesson Plans
- Genetics & Heredity Lesson Plans
- Genetic Mutations Lesson Plans
- Taxonomy Lesson Plans
- Plant Biology Lesson Plans
- Plant Reproduction & Growth Lesson Plans
- Animal Reproduction & Development Lesson Plans
- The Reproductive Systems Lesson Plans
- The Circulatory & Musculoskeletal Systems Lesson Plans
- The Nervous & Endocrine Systems Lesson Plans
- Ecology Overview Lesson Plans
- Animal Behavior Lessons Plans
- Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques Lesson Plans
- Scientific Data Analysis Lesson Plans
- Biology Laboratory Lesson Plans