About This Chapter
Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety- Chapter Summary
This chapter on laboratory safety is critical if you ever plan on working in a science laboratory. Knowing this information can help you avoid many injuries to yourself or others. The important topics that will be covered in this chapter include:
- Common types of equipment found in a lab
- The tools found in a lab and their purpose
- Correct execution of lab equipment and materials
- Proper procedures and protocols for chemicals in the lab
- Importance of care when working with biological specimens
- How to use safety equipment if an accident occurs
- Basic lab safety rules
- Ways to handle emergency situations in a lab
Each lesson in this chapter summarizes the topics in a way that is fun, engaging, and easily understandable. These lessons are available via desktop computer, laptop, smartphone or tablet, and you can study anytime, from anywhere there's Internet access. The short multiple-choice quizzes that accompany each lesson can be printed out for study offline, too.
1. Common Laboratory Equipment: Types & Uses
Biologists use all kinds of equipment in their labs to run their experiments. In this lesson, you'll identify some of the most common pieces of equipment as well as when you should or shouldn't use them.
2. Chemistry Lab Equipment: Supplies, Glassware & More
When you bake a cake, you use different tools for each step in the process: a bowl for mixing, cups for measuring ingredients and an oven for baking. In this lesson, you will discover the name and purpose of many of the different tools that are used in the chemistry lab.
3. How to Use Science Lab Equipment & Materials
Learn how to use some common pieces of science lab equipment, including scales, probeware, meters sticks, microscopes, and computers. Learn about setup, calibration, measurement technique, maintenance, and storage.
4. Safe Chemical Storage, Use & Disposal
An important part of lab safety involves the correct usage, storage, and disposal of chemicals. Lab safety is everyone's responsibility, so it's important that you know the proper procedures and protocols for using chemicals in the lab.
5. Working with Biological Specimens Safely in the Lab
Working with biological specimens can be interesting and rewarding. But we need to be careful when handling and disposing of these types of specimens because they do have the potential to do harm both in and out of the lab.
6. Standard Laboratory Safety Equipment
Even with proper precautions, lab accidents do happen. When they do, knowing what safety equipment is in your lab, where it is located, and how to use it can prevent further harm to both the lab and the people working in it.
7. Laboratory Safety Techniques: Protecting People and Equipment
Laboratory safety is not fun, but following the rules ensures that lab activities can be enjoyed by everyone. In this lesson, we cover some basic lab safety rules to follow that will help lab time be both safe and fun.
8. Responding to Emergency Situations in the Lab
Science laboratories can be dangerous places. This lesson will discuss how to respond to various emergency situations one might encounter in the lab, from cuts and burns, to corrosive and poisonous substances, to fires.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate & Seasons
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards