About This Chapter
Science & Public Health Issues - Chapter Summary
This chapter can be utilized to help you remember topics that include the uses of X-rays, types of medical imaging techniques, as well as others. Your study sessions will be enhanced by brief video lessons and text lessons that are mobile friendly. Short but comprehensive quizzes will give you ways to examine your progress through the chapter. The following topics are also included:
- Explanation of nutrition
- Definition of health and wellness
- Types of environmental health
- Definition of biotechnology and genetic engineering
Return to previous lessons by clicking recent activity. If you would like more information about our instructors, check out the lesson transcripts.Take your quizzes on the go by printing the worksheet and answers.
1. What is Nutrition?
Nutrition is the process of taking in nutrients from the foods you eat. Learn about the six nutrients needed for energy, maintenance of tissues and regulation of bodily processes: carbohydrates, fats, proteins, water, vitamins and minerals.
2. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
It's important to be happy and healthy! This lesson will contrast between health and wellness as well as what the different dimension of wellness are and how they interact.
3. What Is Environmental Health? Definition, Types & Sources
In this video lesson, you will learn about environmental health. You will also learn about threats to environmental health and how to distinguish between different categories of environmental hazards.
4. What is Biotechnology? - Definition, History & Examples
Biotechnology is a broad category and includes some surprising concepts. Learn what practices and disciplines fall under this exciting and expanding classification.
5. What is Genetic Engineering? - Definition and Examples
How do we make the insulin used by diabetic patients? In this lesson, you'll learn the basics of how genetic engineering can be used to transform a bacterial host cell into a genetically-modified organism that produces human insulin.
6. What Are X-rays? - Definition & Uses
This lesson describes X-rays and their many uses, from looking at broken bones to analyzing the rocks on Mars. Learn how X-rays are part of the larger electromagnetic spectrum, which ranges from radio waves to powerful gamma rays.
7. Medical Imaging Techniques: Types & Uses
What is medical imaging and how is it used? Learn about the different types of imaging used in medicine and how they've changed healthcare, then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Science (524): Practice & Study Guide course
- Basics of Scientific Inquiry
- Historical Developments in Science
- Scientific Data Collection & Manipulation
- Data & Statistics
- Energy Resources
- Science & Technology in Daily Life
- Organization of Matter
- Atoms & Moles
- Energy & Matter
- Chemical Bonding
- The Periodic Table
- Chemical Reactions
- Equilibrium & Common Chemical Reactions
- Dimensions of Motion in Physics
- Newton's Laws in Physics
- Force & Pressure
- Waves, Sound, and Light
- Cell Structure & Function
- Cell Growth & The Process of Cell Division
- Biochemistry of Life
- Evolution: Theories and Principles
- Organism Characteristics
- Introduction to Plant Biology
- Human Anatomy
- Population & The Environment
- Atmospheric Sciences
- Understanding Ecosystems
- Minerals and Rocks
- Weathering and Erosion
- Earth's Spheres and Internal Structure
- Plate Tectonics
- Geologic Time
- Water Balance
- Glaciers, Lakes, Rivers & Other Bodies of Water
- The Atmosphere of Earth
- Weather and Storms
- The Solar System: Layout, Formation & Dating
- The Earth, Sky, and Moon
- The Moon: Formation & Phases
- Origins & Theories of the Universe
- GACE Science Flashcards
- Laboratory Equipment and Procedures